1956 sedan factory fog lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 sedan factory fog lights

I have never seen any! I have had them on my stude's from 1947 to 1955 but have never seen, to my knowledge, any on 56 to 58 sedans or wagons. Were they not offered?
    Tom McCaffrey

Not that I know of but the '55 fog lights will fit the 56 c/k bumber and all that needs to be changed are the bulbs themselves to 12 volts. On '56 and up sedans etc, you're outta luck!

Comment

I've never compared them, but someone told me a 56 sedan front bumper is the same shape as a Hawk front bumper. Is that true? If so, the C/K fog lamps would fit the 56 sedan.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        I've never compared them, but someone told me a 56 sedan front bumper is the same shape as a Hawk front bumper. Is that true? If so, the C/K fog lamps would fit the 56 sedan.

No, A '56 sedan front bumper has nothing in common with any c/k bumpers regardless of model year.

However, a '56 front c/k bumper is the same as a '55 sedan front bumper but that's it…

Comment

Hi

I checked Fred Fox's TW feature articles on the 1956-1958 Sedans and Wagons: no fog lights are listed as either a factory or dealer installed options in the factory options and accessories lists for those model years. Those smaller, sealed-beam fog or driving lights were generally available from accessory aftermarket suppliers cheaply enough so the factory must have decided it wasn't worth their time or trouble to catalogue such as an option.

When I had a '57 President Classic until the early 1990's, I hung an aftermarket accessory chrome set inside the bumper guards in the space before it turns downward. There were holes on the bottom of the bumper in place ideal to do just that, no drilling necessary. In combination with the bumper guards, the driving lights gave the '57 President a more 'luxury' car imposing look.

Steve

Comment

Yes you are correct. These bumpers are identical and will interchange. Even the same part number if memory serves me right. That is what I found when searching for one or my 56 Champion. p/s I just went out to my car and checked both the accessory catalog and options price list for 56 sedans and they did not offer fog lights.
            Nick
            Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
            Last edited by njonkman; 02-09-2017, 05:00 PM.

Comment

As I recall Bill Lindsey told my brother when he got his front bumper for his 56 President the only difference was the number of holes in the bumper between different 55 and up bumpers for C K and 56 sedans ( 57 58 sedans and wagons are different )number of holes front compared to coupes) The replacement bumper he got had extra holes which required extra bolts to fill holes
              Last edited by acolds; 02-10-2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I do have a set off a 55 ,ill try them!
                Tom McCaffrey

Comment

Let us know what you find.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
                    As I recall Bill Lindsey told my brother when he got his front bumper for his 56 President the only difference was the number of holes in the bumper between different 55 and up bumpers for C K and ( 57 58 sedans and wagons have different number of holes front compared to coupes) The replacement bumper he got had extra holes which required extra bolts to fill holes
                    I think someone has their Year Model and Body Types kinda mixed up.

There is absolutely NO commonality at all between a '57 and '58 Sedan/Wagon and ANYTHING else!
                    They are not similar to a "U" Channel like '55-'56 Sedans and all C and K Models, but more of a Half Round shape and with the Center "Dip Down" they are just WAY different.
                    A 1957> Click image for larger version

Name:	57PresClassicTeal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1712400 A 1956> Click image for larger version

Name:	Pres Classic Tangerine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	1712399
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-10-2017, 11:27 AM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My fingers did not type what was in my mind. My typed words now match my thoughts Also see picture of local 1956 with the fog lights installed
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by acolds; 02-10-2017, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Hey- that's MY 56 president!
                        Evan Davis
                        Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Yes, 1955 (NOT '53-'54) bumper mounted studebaker factory fog lamps will indeed fit perfectly on 1956 sedan/wagon front bumpers, and they look GREAT!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            A 1956> [ATTACH=CONFIG]61985[/ATTACH]
                            I love 56 tangerine!
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

[QUOTE=RadioRoy;1038226]I love 56 tangerine!.....when it's used in a two-tone...however, if used as a solid color...ULP!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X