PDA

View Full Version : There's a story behind this one...

Noxnabaker
02-07-2017, 05:41 PM
Yep, a story & depending on interest I might tell it... ;)61933
It goes from about 1976 until this day that just passed;
7/2-2017.

jclary
02-07-2017, 06:04 PM
Hey Nox...most of us tell stories without regard to "interest"...so why shouldn't you?!;) Really, that looks like a beautiful car. Even with the collection of various "other year" trim, it looks well done and I like it. Tell us the story.:)

SN-60
02-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Story!-------Story!--------Story!!!!!!!!! :)

spokejr
02-07-2017, 06:31 PM
You are naughty Nox, teasing us like this.

Come on, tell us a bedtime story, eh?

sals54
02-07-2017, 06:41 PM
If he doesn't wanna tell it.... Let it be.

Noxnabaker
02-08-2017, 04:46 AM
Ofcourse I wanna tell! ;)

It begins in the 60-70's when there was a gas station across the street from where I grew up & they had a garage on the back & the "greaser-guy" who greased the cars was a pal of my dad.
Rolf was his name & nicknamed Roffe, in Swedish you even say the "e".
My dad said "Roffe has a Mustang" & I didn't think much about it cuz my dad knew about cars... But I didn't get to see the Mustang 'cause we only went to the garage to leave & get our grease-needing or greased cars & Roffe walked to work as he lived nearby.
But one day later in my teens we passed his own garage & there was the car & I saw it & said "But it's a Shelby!" "yep" said Roffe & I thought my dad was quite a fool since then... (It was a GT500 too.)
You didn't think it was gonna be the Studebaker did you? (snigger... :) )
Anyway, my good pal Thomas (who by the way bought a -31 Ford to Hot Rod as his 1:st car) was ofcourse also a car-maniac & his mum took care of Roffes daughter in daytime when the parents was working & one day Thomas tells me that Roffe's daughter told him Roffe's got a Studebaker...
So I told dad who said he didn't have a clue.
& a few days later dad said "no, Roffe aint got no Studebaker, he didn't know what I was talking about"!
THAT kinda stayed in my mind over the years... I soon after that moved away from home & by time lost contact with the people there.
(This all took place in Jakobsberg, 20 km north of Stockholm.)
My life has been interesting & in circa -98 I spotted a Danish-registered Golden Hawk (yep, the one on the picture, but this picture I didn't take, I googled it) in Varberg That I took 2 photos of, but can't find now...
Then yesterday on the facebook-group Studebakers of Scandinavia a guy posted a pic of the car from Hot Rod Show in the 70's where it was stated that the guy who owned the car was working in a gas-stations garage... So I wrote that I bet the guys name was Rolf...
A while later a woman writes that it's HER car & that she bought it -97 from Roffe's whife & daughter 'cause Roffe just died!
Now then: this was yesterday, 7/2-2017 & 6/2 as in the day before I came to think about why Roffe denied to my dad he had a Studebaker & when his daughter said so & why I never saw any Studebaker at all...?

As I reckon you understand: Studebakers has always been rare & exclusive in Europe, even thou we've had a few they were exactly that here: a few.
So when a Studebaker-maniac like me misses one it eats me a bit... but I found it yesterday, exported to Denmark, & that's ok cuz they have even fewer Studebakers & US cars.

Hope I didn't bore the XXXX out of you...
;)

spokejr
02-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Nox, you bored me not one bit! In fact, what a great way to start my day. A great read to go with my breakfast, it helped get my mood in the right place for the start of the day. Thanks!

Noxnabaker
02-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Nice when some one enjoys it!
I was kinda stressed when I wrote it because I was short of time but looking at it now I think I got most of it right.
Yesterday I was like a 1:st time teenager in love, I just couldn't wait to tell anyone interested, that's how naive I am... ;)

j.byrd
02-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Hey Noxnabaker, chances are, if it includes cars, youth, girls, or anything mechanical, we'll like it ! I got a bunch of stories too, but I usually wait until another person starts something I'm familiar with, ha ! Good story sir.

E. Davis
02-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Great story but he needs to be a bit more politically correct like we are here in the USA. We don't call them "greasers" or "grease monkeys" like they called me when I worked in the garages...they are now "lubrication technicians".

Noxnabaker
02-09-2017, 03:09 AM
Thanx for a good laugh Mr Davis! :)