PDA

View Full Version : Instrument cluster identification

starliner62
02-07-2017, 04:07 PM
I aquired the instrument cluster pictured in hopes of putting it in my 55 Commander sedan. I know the cluster is a 55, but it certainly doesn't look like a bolt in job. I tried to find dash pics and all I have found with this cluster are C/K Presidents. Was there more than one dash assembly for the 55 model year? Does it make a difference whether or not it has a straight or ultra Vista windshield?
I'm familiar with Speedster stuff and still learning about the other models.

8E45E
02-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Sedans with the later 'Ultra-Vista' windshields have a completely different dash. Them and Speedsters do not have a separate pod like the early sedans/wagons and C/K's that contain the gauges and switches

Craig.

starliner62
02-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Thanks. Mine has the Ultra-Vista windshield so it's not going to work. It is a very nice cluster in excellent condition.

55s
02-07-2017, 06:27 PM
My 55s are all CKs and the padded 1955 dash I bought from a flea market would not fit them BUT the instrument clusters are the same - at least the two round instrument clusters and probably the chrome bezel there are mounted in. (the part in front of the driver). My recollection is that the outside circular bezel in the cluster was a little different with a bit of a hood. I presume you have a usable rest of dash - the part that fits from side to side.

rockne10
02-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Not to hijack the thread but, on the subject of cluster identification, Russell has put together a pretty impressive resource here. https://www.sites.google.com/site/identifyinginstrumentpanels/home

If anyone has photos to fill in the gaps, he appreciates submissions. He does NOT have a photo of the late '55 cluster.