Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Split windshield installation help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Split windshield installation help needed.

In the next week or two, I will be installing a new windshield and new windshield rubber in my '46 Stude Champion business coupe. Installing a split will be new to me.

I am need help on the suggested installation sequence for the glass and the windshield divider. The divider looks like a very leak prone area if not done right.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks!

Do you have the shop manual?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I am very much interested in this too for my '39. It should be about the same procedure...right? My shop manual does not have these instructions. I have done multiple glass installations on other cars but not a split windshield.

Comment

Studebaker windshield instalation

Last edited by rkapteyn; 02-07-2017, 04:53 AM.

Comment

No, do not have a shop manual.

Comment

Follow the shop manual to a 'T'...... Don't do this alone.

Also... Take your rubber and stretch it over the glass and center divider and let it 'relax' on the glass on a bench for a few days.
            That will stretch the rubber and make it a lot easier to work with.

Select your cord carefully. You will have to pull (what feels like) pretty hard on it in some places.
            I popped myself in the nose once because the cheap a$$ string I used was not up to my immense forearm strength.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I did a number of front glass installs on old MB's and I used plastic coated primary electric wire instead of rope, seemed to allow the seal to pull around the body much easier.

Comment

Thanks, gents. Good information. It would still be very helpful to get additional, detailed information about how and when the center divide is installed and more of the sequence involved. Any additional information will be appreciated.

Comment

I did the w/s on my split window 2R truck a few years back and I had to have my wife help; it's definitely a 2 person job!

Comment

TXCR13....when you do yours, please post some pics. Also where did you get your glass and rubber?

Comment

Originally posted by fh4ever View Post
                      TXCR13....when you do yours, please post some pics. Also where did you get your glass and rubber?
                      Got my glass from PCT Auto Glass, Hazard, Ky. 606 435-8243. Best prices I found by far on the Stude glass I needed, and real nice to talk with. Also, they pack their glass in cut-to-fit plywood box and squirt them full of foam for great protection.

Got my seals from Studebaker International, 317 462-8891. They have a website and online catalog.

Will try to get pics when I do my windshield, but I still need more instructions before I tackle it.
                      Really curious about the sequence of installation for the two piece windshield. Especially, at what point is the divider bar installed, and about how the divider bar rubber is sealed to the two panes of glass, and to the larger windshield gasket. I know there are screws to tighten and squeeze the divider bar rubber gasket, but man, the upper and lower joints of glass, divider gasket and windshield gasket just looks like a guaranteed leaker to me, unless it is really done right with the correct procedure, and good sealant.

Comment

Bump to update.

Comment

Just so ya' know, I received my '41-'42 and 5G shop manual. Nothing in there about windshield installation, or side glass installation or window mechanisms. Disappointed in that.

Comment

Originally posted by TXCR13 View Post
                            Just so ya' know, I received my '41-'42 and 5G shop manual. Nothing in there about windshield installation, or side glass installation or window mechanisms. Disappointed in that.
                            Is there a separate body manual that covers those items?

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                              Is there a separate body manual that covers those items?
                              There doesn't seem to be, from comments by others or my online searches which haven't turned up much, so far. Some people say try the old Motor Manuals, that they actually have more detail than the Studebaker manuals. But, I am new to Studebakers so I may very well not have the full story on manuals are out there. Someone did mention there is some window installation detail in a '39 Commander manual, but exactly how much I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X