PDA

View Full Version : Brand Xs allowed?

Lou Van Anne
02-06-2017, 09:17 PM
Do I understand that Brand X :eek: cars are being allowed at the International Studebaker Meet?....not sure I like that idea.

DieselJim
02-06-2017, 11:04 PM
As in all our May meets, brand x had their own area for the show. They will have their own area at this show. More for the public to see. They all register and pay for the show.

Chris Pile
02-06-2017, 11:54 PM
I did not know that.

StudeRich
02-07-2017, 01:48 AM
What SDC International Meet has EVER had ANY Brand X's allowed on the show field?

Certainly none I know of. :(

This is not a May Swap Meet!

2R5
02-07-2017, 05:53 AM
What SDC International Meet has EVER had ANY Brand X's allowed on the show field?

Certainly none I know of. :(

This is not a May Swap Meet!

......., took you guys long enough

Kurt
02-07-2017, 06:14 AM
Personally, I like the idea. They will have their own area. Our Studebaker will have their own area. More cars to look at. More people in general at the show. Maybe it might spark some interest in our brand.

8E45E
02-07-2017, 06:25 AM

Certainly none I know of.

The 2007 International Meet. The Packard club held their meet on the same field at the fairgrounds.

Craig

BobPalma
02-07-2017, 06:25 AM
Personally, I like the idea. They will have their own area. Our Studebaker will have their own area. More cars to look at. More people in general at the show. Maybe it might spark some interest in our brand.

:!: What Kurt said. They will be in decidedly separate areas; not co-mingled. ;) :cool: BP

Avantidon
02-07-2017, 07:08 AM
Folks it is time that we begin to understand that to make a show successful we need to begin to expand our vision and allow brand x's on our show field in a separate area. All of us are getting older and hopefully wiser as are all of the other auto clubs in this country. Having more cars and more brands allow for more spectators to enter the show field. Just as in 2007 when Packard joined us in South Bend they were located in their own area and it gave us all a chance to see more cars, talk to more owners and expand our horizons. Like in the cereal commercial's where Mikey's friends asked him to try the new cereal what did they see, he ate it and their response was "Mikey likes it." Who knows we might like it too when we have a show field of 900-1,000 cars and over 10,000 spectators all who paid to get in. HMMM, now would n't that be a thrill.

8E45E
02-07-2017, 07:17 AM
Folks it is time that we begin to understand that to make a show successful we need to begin to expand our vision and allow brand x's on our show field in a separate area. All of us are getting older and hopefully wiser as are all of the other auto clubs in this country. Having more cars and more brands allow for more spectators to enter the show field. Who knows we might like it too when we have a show field of 900-1,000 cars and over 10,000 spectators all who paid to get in. HMMM, now would n't that be a thrill.

I have no problem with that.

For example, make it open to ALL Indiana-built automobiles, besides Studebakers. It would help those who are not from Indiana to appreciate the state's diverse automotive heritage.

Craig

JoeHall
02-07-2017, 08:18 AM
I agree with letting brand 'X' owners in. Let them park in a designated area, as has long been done at the SB swap meet in May. Its nice to look at other cars of the same era as ours. Who knows, we may actually even gain some members, when they compare their cars to our beautiful Studes !

52-fan
02-07-2017, 08:47 AM
I think it is a great idea. It will expose or club to people who are interested in cars, but are not SDC members...yet. They may realize what they are missing and wish to get a Stude. It has happened with the Pure Stock Muscle Car event.

swvalcon
02-07-2017, 09:43 AM
I agree with Kurt and Bob. The more cars the better and if your a true car guy brand doesn't matter. COOL IS COOL.Be it a stock Studebaker or a Hot Rod.

hausdok
02-07-2017, 02:00 PM
I have no problem with that.

For example, make it open to ALL Indiana-built automobiles, besides Studebakers. It would help those who are not from Indiana to appreciate the state's diverse automotive heritage.

CraigNot too far away, only about an hour and a half drive, is Auburn, Indiana where the Duesenberg, Auburn, Cord museum is located. They have a half a floor there dedicated to Indiana-built automobiles. Kind of interesting. In fact, if you're going to be at the national and you don't visit that museum you are missing out on a treat. It's in what used to be the office buildings of the Cord factory and many of the old offices have been left the way they were during production. Some of those cars, especially the Duesies, are incredible pieces of workmanship.

spokejr
02-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Long term, I can see far more gain than loss by inviting other marque clubs to be in partnership with our club.

The real trick will to be logistics. If a local Studebaker chapter saw diminishing membership but still had a popular meet, pairing up with say the local brass era club could spread the effort among more people and draw more people in who are not petrol heads due to the visual. The trick is finding a way to entice other clubs to take the 2nd place role, perhaps by going the reverse come the next event.

wdills
02-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Having other brands will help with stude exposure among other car collectors. I think the bigger plus is having the show open to the public. That brings in a lot of people that may not currently own an old car, but maybe wants one. Good or bad, Studebaker is one of the cheapest cars to get into the hobby. Maybe one of those folks ends up with a stude.

JeffDeWitt
02-07-2017, 10:13 PM
Not too far away, only about an hour and a half drive, is Auburn, Indiana where the Duesenberg, Auburn, Cord museum is located. They have a half a floor there dedicated to Indiana-built automobiles. Kind of interesting. In fact, if you're going to be at the national and you don't visit that museum you are missing out on a treat. It's in what used to be the office buildings of the Cord factory and many of the old offices have been left the way they were during production. Some of those cars, especially the Duesies, are incredible pieces of workmanship.

I was there a couple of years ago. The collection was great and the cars amazing as you would expect. However, the big surprise to me was the building itself, it's a real Art-Deco gem.

JeffDeWitt
02-07-2017, 10:16 PM
I like this idea as long as the brand X's are kept segregated. Anything that brings more attention to the old car hobby (and especially our Studebakers!) is a good thing.

Maybe the NCSDC should consider doing this at the Tri-State meet.

lumpy
02-07-2017, 10:23 PM
Its time to band together guys… brand x whatever lets get the young people involved. If not our wonderful hobby is finished:(. Racing , restoration, memorabilia , cruises, shows, picnics,Its our turn to involve the youngsters. If not its over with our generation. I myself have have have two young guys in my neighborhood that have hung around my garage since their early teens. One runs a 2nd gen camaro with a twin turbo bbc that runs mid 9s in the 1/4 and weighs 3900 lbs. The other works at a local restoration shop . This young man had been in some trouble in his later teens , I vouched for him at said shop and he is an asset to the business and now has two projects of his own.:!!:

Lou Van Anne
02-07-2017, 10:24 PM
Okay, you've won me over!

I like this idea as long as the brand X's are kept segregated. Anything that brings more attention to the old car hobby (and especially our Studebakers!) is a good thing.

Maybe the NCSDC should consider doing this at the Tri-State meet.

Milaca
02-07-2017, 11:21 PM
For what it's worth, I would prefer it only be open to North American-made automobile & truck brands that are no longer manufactured (orphan makes).
This would keep the show more unique, unlike a typical car show that has several Mustangs, Camaros, 1957 Chevys, etc.
Being a Studebaker fanatic, I naturally have a deeper appreciation for the rare, obscure, seldom seen and what may be deemed as less desirable makes by the general public.
I would be thrilled to see some International Harvester pickups & Scouts, Crosley cars, Diamond T trucks, Checker cars, Hudsons, etc.
Also, limit these vehicles to pre-1980 (except for Avantis, of course).
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all automobiles, but I can go to any typical car show for that. For the future, lets keep this show unique!

dynolou2
02-07-2017, 11:30 PM
Not, wanting to hijack this thread but in 2007 I attended the Hudson National in Auburn our banquet was held in the ACD Museum. Coming out of the Hall, with the Showroom light dimmed and many of older Hudsons parked out front led one to believe that we stepped out into a time warp, magical. Lou Cote

Hallabutt
02-08-2017, 05:02 AM
I think that it's a great idea, and overdue! For many years I have believed that the survival of the old car hobby will depend on whether we can band together, with the idea that our strength is in our diversity. I know, it sounds like some trite political slogan designed to keep the peace, but I think that it really means something when we are talking about the old car fraternity. Anybody else feel that even the term Brand-X carries a negative connotation of us versus them? I feel sorry for people who never step away from their comfort zone to share and learn. I'm always excited by something new (old) car discovery, at a car get-together. I don't understand how someone can go to an event and spend all there time with a tri-five group or Camaros or Mustangs. I have a 1967 Camaro, but it would bore me to death to go to a get-together without exploring.

I thought it was a mistake when the Avanti people chose to separate from the SDC International to have their own meet this last year. I think that it sends the wrong message to the Studebaker world. Taking it one step farther, I would love to have pre war, and post war car people take more interest in the other group, and their cars.

IMHO we have started on a new path of exploration into the International, to try to determine what will work better for our members, and help with the continued survival of the event. I wish that it had been done long ago, but I don't think that it's too late. I would hate to see the SDC/ASC/AOAI go the same way that the AMC/Rambler Club has gone.

sweetolbob
02-08-2017, 09:23 AM
The local Corvette club tends to dominate several local shows, possibly just because there are so darn many of them. Doing so has given them a reputation that's was a bit uppity and condescending to other brands.

Several years ago they held their own show at a local Apple Orchard and invited anyone that wanted to attend to do so for free.

Decided to roll the 83 Avanti over there and could not have been treated better. They put it in the Front row coming in so everybody had to pass it and I made a couple new acquaintances.

Bottom line, seldom does anything bad happen when you expand the entries to encompass more folks.

Jessie J.
02-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Have attended the Mid-Michigan Pure Stock Muscle Car event since its inception, and it is the variety of vehicles competing that keeps it interesting. If it were only Studebaker's competing against other Studebaker's, I doubt it would have long held my interest or continued attendance.

As far as Studebaker meets, I think for the continued health and growth of SDC, it is a good idea to provide a show area to those whom arrive in other -contemporary- makes.
It will certainly bring more people out, and provide many with their first first-hand exposure to a lot of Studebaker's finest, both the cars and the Studebaker people and enthusiasm. An excellent opportunity to form new friendships, and automotive resource connections.
Be aware that many of these new-comers will arrive with very little awareness of Studebaker, a good many of the younger generation have never even seen one close up much less ever ridden in or driven one.
To keep from being flooded, the caveat to displaying another make vehicle at SDC meets, should limiting entry only to models and years contemporary with Studebaker production years. ie nothing newer than the 1966 model year (Avanti's excepted) this so that meets don't end up a grapes to watermelons comparison dominated by hundreds of post-1966 products.

Jessie J.
02-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Weird. I attempted to do a minor edit, and only the first four words of my post came up? Does this happen to anyone else?