Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957 Golden Hawk, 1963 GT, 1965 Commander some interesting cars (window price stickers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Golden Hawk, 1963 GT, 1965 Commander some interesting cars (window price stickers)

In the course of replicating window price stickers I receive some interesting communications and occasionally some curious vehicles. Two received within the past few weeks illustrate this.

First the ’57 Golden Hawk, wps shown in image #1. It was purchased recently in California from a one family ownership and has just 62,000 miles. The new owner reports that it is nearly pristine and everything works except the radio that is now out for repair. I was struck by both the outstanding original condition of the car (he sent photos) and the impressive list of options/accessories.

The 2nd was a ’63 GT Hawk that has been with the same owner for 50 years (bought used in 1967). It too was an outstanding original car with an impressive list of optional equipment. The owner upgraded the engine to an R1 and added the 4-speed and power steering and disc brakes. Other options including the air conditioning are original.

Back in the summer of ‘16 I received a call from a gentleman in central Illinois who wanted me to replicate the price sticker on his ’65 Commander. He went on to relate that it still had the original sticker on the side window and the car had only 15 original miles on the odometer! Thinking that I would soon be receiving his order I foolishly did not write down a name or address and he has not contacted me since! So somewhere in central Illinois is a legit 1965 Commander with only 15 miles!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	57hawkwps WEBB labeled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1753520Click image for larger version

Name:	63 gt hawk wps wundt labeled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	1753521
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

It's interesting that the GT was ordered with the R1 option but the 4 barrel was charged as an additional option.
    American iron, real old school
    With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
    With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
    With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
    The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
    I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by greyben View Post
      It's interesting that the GT was ordered with the R1 option but the 4 barrel was charged as an additional option.
      Actually Ben the R1 option was added by the owner and was not part of the original order so that part is not correct.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Some people are happy with a "Custom" Window sticker to match how they have modified their Car, rather than how the Car came from the Factory.

So I understand: it's their Car, their Money, so far be it for Richard to become the "Studebaker Factory Police" and refuse their money!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Since the window price list (I know it has a formal name but I can't remember it) is not original I have no problem with them representing the car as it exists rather than as produced. I would not be in favor of altering the production order, however.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Some people are happy with a "Custom" Window sticker to match how they have modified their Car, rather than how the Car came from the Factory.

So I understand: it's their Car, their Money, so far be it for Richard to become the "Studebaker Factory Police" and refuse their money!
            That is the big issue with them: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Sticky-Subject

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X