AMC/GM Avanti II column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: AMC/GM Avanti II column

My 77 Avanti II had a Jeep CJ7 vinyl/chromed steering wheel/padded horn button and still has the original AMC (GM sourced) tilt column ... with right mounted hazard button and left mounted (in one line from back to front) tilt lever, surface mounted high beam switch (no cover), and turn signal lever which enters the column but has a pivot which contacts the high beam switch. My problem (other than column looseness which is said to be from not tightened enough 4 bolts) is my now non-functioning cruise control lever end ... which was connected to the original short block Chevy and has failed to match with my new LS2 drive by wire electronics. Michael at Thecruisecontrolstore is mailing me a 4 wire late model GM lever and a 5 wire (with ground) open circuit converter. Anyone have any experience with my problem/solution? Oh, my column cover does not have a bump to hide the high beam switch (like most GM columns) but has under dash GM electrical connection so I think my mechanic was right when he said it is a GM column.

Thanks

About all I can help you with is to agree that your column's looseness is because of those four torx-head bolts buried deep inside the steering column....They have an annoying habit of loosening up!

Comment

My '83 has Chryco ignition keys leading me to suspect they sourced the column from Chrysler. I belive Cordoba's were very similar to the GM.
      Bill

Comment

I believe 78 used Chrysler as well. I did not get a key for mine. Luckily, there was a key code written on the driver door under the door card. It translated to Chrysler and works great.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

General Motors, Chrysler, Amc, & Avantis of that vintage all used the same Saginaw 'tilt' column, with very minor wiring and internal differences, such as how the key lock is retained.

Service parts for these columns are, for the most part, exactly the same.

Comment

Working...
          X