48 Commander needs paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Commander needs paint job

I'm taking this car out of storage for past 10 years. It's mechanically running now, but I would like to get the body dents and minor rust fixed up and re-paint it. The current colour is black, but I'm thinking of changing it to a Chrysler cherry red. Can someone tell me what is the best paint for this purpose? Should it be sanded down bare and totally re-done? Any hints would be appreciated.
    Joe.

The usual method if it does not have 3 Coats of pealing, flaking Old unknown type Paint on it, is scuff up the existing Topcoat, apply Sealer/Primer then the New topcoat(s), single stage Acrylic Enamel OR Base/Clearcoat.

But of course it is all about it's current condition, it may require sanding down to the original primer.

Sanding to bare metal or Chemical Stripping is usually not needed, because Studebaker's High Lead, Baking Enamel and it's Primer is a much better base than the cheap Lacquer that other Auto Co's used.

Studebaker Black Cherry was used in, I believe 1950.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Honestly, I don't recommend an inexperienced person painting a car. Research it on the internet or get a book and do the recommended. Take it to a body shop and ask if it is ready to paint. They'll give you needed advice.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Yes, I will get a local body guy to do the work, but I wanted to know how to discuss it with him. Good tips, StudeRich.

Comment

Working...
        X