commander difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• commander difference

ok all, I am looking for a next project car and some of the 1953/54 commanders catch my eye. But I see some are listed as commanders some starliners, what is the difference ? are they listed wrong or is it a trim package or different car all together.

Eric
    1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
    Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Originally posted by Endl98 View Post
    ok all, I am looking for a next project car and some of the 1953/54 commanders catch my eye. But I see some are listed as commanders some starliners, what is the difference ? are they listed wrong or is it a trim package or different car all together.

Eric
    You are sort of comparing apples and oranges. For 1953-1954, Commander simply denotes a V8 (Champion is a six) in any body style. A Starliner is a hardtop (K body) and can be either a Commander (V8) or Champion (6).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

ok all, I am looking for a next project car
      More info from Eric would get more specific advice. Yes, there are also different trim levels, but mainly of interest to those doing a restoration; for a modified/custom, not so much. For a driver, the '54s have some definite mechanical improvements; for a modified, not so important.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

ok well im going to look at the tan one , but i love the look of this black one, i know its not stock, but before i buy the wrong model. i wanna know what im look at and for. ok mso i guess im looking for a starliner then. what year is better, im looking to build a car , not restore to stock.Click image for larger version

Name:	1953 commander.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1712323Click image for larger version

Name:	16298366_1380611271983074_4072494113053642335_n.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1712324
        Last edited by Endl98; 02-01-2017, 02:57 PM.
        1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.

Comment

The 53 and 54 is such a beautiful design that even the post in the C style would never be a deal killer for me.
          I'd love to own a 53 or 54 in either a C or K body style.
          The only deal killer for me would be too much rust, or too modified.

Comment

What Year is "Better"?

For a Street Rod as you were told, it should not matter, because the "Upgrades" on the "Better" 1954's are things you may not care about or remove, except the "Batwing" Crossmember.

1) Much better 11 Inch Front, 10 Inch Rear self energizing Brake Systems developed.
            2) The Join/Weld and Leaded in Seam was removed on the "C" Pillar to lower Body.
            3) The "Batwing" Door Post supporting Crossmember was added under the "A" Pillars.
            4) The "Toothed" Center Bars were used in the Side Grills.
            5) New Tail Light Housings and Lenses were on '54's also New Trunk Handle and Locks and relocated.
            6) Late '53's and '54's had almost all of the upside down Mercedes like Tri-Stars removed all over the Car at their request.
            7) Instrument Cluster on Commanders went from "4 Hoods" to one Enclosure.
            8) Rear Seat Center Arm Rest changed to delete Storage Box and be removable.

Note: The 13 Ga. Frames on both Champion & Commander "K" Bodies were not improved to 11 Ga. until the 1962 GT Hawk Hardtops came out.
            On a 120 1/2 Inch Wheelbase Car, this amounts to quite a bit of Flexing.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 02-01-2017, 04:59 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well I'm looking I may even look up to 55 . They kinda look like a whale shark or a vacuum cleaner . But I am selling my 1970 BBC nova . I hope to get $25k from that, this way I can use the funds to either buy a custom or build to suite. Perfect world would be a trade.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2139.JPG
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	1712325

Comment

what is the difference between a starliner and a starlite

Comment

The Starliner is a hardtop without a dividing B pillar, like a convertible. The rear quarter window cranks down. The Starlight Coupe has a full frame around the front doors, a dividing B pillar and a hinge-out rear quarter window.

Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	1712341
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That question was just brought up here 3 days ago:

StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

PM has been Sent
                      My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                      sigpic
                      Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                      in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by Studeous View Post
                        PM has been Sent
                        if that PM was for me , i did not receive it.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                          The Starliner is a hardtop without a dividing B pillar, like a convertible. The rear quarter window cranks down. The Starlight Coupe has a full frame around the front doors, a dividing B pillar and a hinge-out rear quarter window.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61844[/ATTACH]
                          Ok thank you. im kinda torn , i think i like the starlight with the piller trim. gives it a smaller window chopped look.

Comment

Obviously SOME people here did not grow up in the 1960's!

In those Days, a 2 Door Hardtop Convertible was the ONLY Body type to own, except for Dad's and Grandfathers!

If a young person, who for some reason HAD to Drive a 4 Door, everyone would laugh and say look at _ _ _ _ _ _ driving Daddy's Car!
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Exactly, StudeRich hit the nail on the head,as usual.

Comment

Working...
                              X