Trans slipping on 55 v8 second gear start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Trans slipping on 55 v8 second gear start

I parked the 55 a month ago and it had been running fine and trans was working well. Started it up yesterday and it did not want to go into gear. Checked fluid and it was down about a pint. I topped it up and it then would come into gear but did some slipping until it was warmed up. now I cant really depend on wether it will operate ok or will start slipping. I started it after sitting today and it made a high pitched sound for a while after putting it into reverse and eventually kicked in. Strange how it was working so well when parked a month ago and then not so upon restart. Anything I could be overlooking? If I do need a rebuild, how much are the necessary parts and how available? I kind of wanted to keep the car original since nothing on it has been altered so that is why I was tending towards rebuild as opposed to replacement. Any ideas? THANKS.....kALEY200

First idea; When was it last flushed and filled?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Typical of those old DG 'monsters'!!!....They truly have a mind of their own!!

Comment

Rockne10, dont know when it was last flushed since I have only had the car for a short time. The fluid in it looks as clear as clean water on the stick.

Comment

I'll bet it's cold enough up there to make the seals pretty rigid. They would leak until pliable enough to retain a seal. How does it act when it warms up, if ever? The DG trans servo seals can be changed without removing the transmission..
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but is 55 the last year of the DG trans? I just made a mistake today thinking that a 55 did not have a DG transmission. Thanks.

Comment

If the Fluid is clear, or Translucent Yellowish it likely has not been changed since back in the Day before the Red ATF was used and recommended, and has 10W Motor Oil in it that WAS OK to use, but superseded by improved Trans. Specific (ATF) Fluid.

I would drain both the Main Case and the Torque Converter (yes there are two drain plugs in it) and refill with Type "F" (Ford) ATF still made by Valvoline, run it good in Neutral or Park and run it through the Gears with Brake applied to circulate the Fluid, then set the Parking Brake or chock the Wheels and check it at a slow idle in Drive.

A '55 V8 would have a DG-250M with a Low Gear Start, something is not right there if you have none.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 01-30-2017, 06:17 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Kagi View Post
                Pardon my ignorance, but is 55 the last year of the DG trans? I just made a mistake today thinking that a 55 did not have a DG transmission. Thanks.
                Yes all 1950 to '55 Cars with Automatic DO have Detroit Gear, Studebaker Automatic Drive (DG) Transmissions, also '56 Transtar Trucks.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have an early President classic that had a DG250.Only early Transtars had the DG250
                  I guess they wanted to use up their stock of DG transmissions.
                  It was a cost saving when the switched to the flightomatics.
                  Get the shop manual you need to adjust the bands.
                  These transmissions are much better than the newer Flightomatics, so fix it and when properly maintained the are bulletproof.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    Typical of those old DG 'monsters'!!!....They truly have a mind of their own!!
                    I've kept both of mine doing exactly what I tell them to with virtually no maintenance over the past forty years. Your disdain for these bulletproof models has always perplexed me. Perhaps you once had one that you didn't take care of (not that much care is needed)? You have often denigrated these but have yet to provide any issue you've personally had with one.
                    Please forewarn me, after forty years is there some catastrophic event I should anticipate? I await with rapt anticipation; and others certainly can benefit from your disappointing experience.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      I've kept both of mine doing exactly what I tell them to with virtually no maintenance over the past forty years. Your disdain for these bulletproof models has always perplexed me. Perhaps you once had one that you didn't take care of (not that much care is needed)? You have often denigrated these but have yet to provide any issue you've personally had with one.
                      Please forewarn me, after forty years is there some catastrophic event I should anticipate? I await with rapt anticipation; and others certainly can benefit from your disappointing experience.
                      It's really quite simple rock,.... if you have one, (in your case two!), in good shape and operating normally....YOU'RE ALL SET!...Have a 'light foot', don't beat on them, and those transmissions may outlast YOU!

However, if one (or two) of them 'go south' on you (very likely), be prepared to raid your 401K to get it repaired! ($$$$), that is, if you can FIND someone to repair it locally, without having to ship it half way around the country!

Comment

64v-k7, YES it has been cold but not too bad for winter. The car is in storage but it is accessable just not drivable with the snow. I can let it run but cant drive it if I put something in it to help with the problem. I just didnt know if I had to drive it for any additive to do any good......kaley200

Comment

StudeRich, this is a Canadian made car from early 55 and I was told it was totally original with this transmission. Is it possible that the Canadian cars were different?.....kaley200 It also operates exactly like a second gear start is supposed to when it is running properly. Is the second gear start trans a weaker trans than the 250?
                          Last edited by kaley200; 01-30-2017, 10:13 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=kaley200;Is the second gear start trans a weaker trans than the 250?[/QUOTE]

All these 'DG's' are TROUBLE when they start to act up, but yes, the second gear start job is lighter duty than the '55 President HD 250M unit. (the best one of the lot, I guess)

If you indeed do plan on a rebuild, I can line you up with a first gear start 250M, which is out of the car. (and in Maine)....let me know...SN-60

Comment

SN60, I take it that the 250 would be in need of a rebuild? Are they really heavy to ship to someone for work and does anyone know what would be normal charge for the work? THANKS,,,,,kaley200

Comment

Working...
                              X