PDA

View Full Version : 51 Champion convertable on eBay

ddub
01-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Looks complete but as some folks say "needs restored."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232222122623?ul_noapp=true

RadioRoy
01-30-2017, 01:50 PM
Another convertible with the wrong rear window. The big plastic window did not appear until 1952. And the two piece diecast chrome rear window from 47-51 was NEVER installed in a zip out flap, like so many restorers do.

Not a bad looking car, though. Hope it goes to someone who will love it.

TX Rebel
01-31-2017, 09:00 PM
I have the correct rear window.

kmul221
02-01-2017, 06:01 AM
I looked for the correct rear window for 10 years when I owned mine,in the days B-4 internet I never found one.
mine was 6 cyl. Auto & hardly had enough power to pull itself even though it had 185 engine installed by P/O.

mbstude
02-01-2017, 06:41 AM
There's a used rear window frame at Stephen Allen's.

unclemiltie
02-01-2017, 08:19 AM
I still remember this as a nice car. Chuck Kennedy owned it for many years he use to drive it to his kids ball games and around the area. It was sitting in his garage for probably the last 20 years. He told me he bought out of Penns I think. A ball broke the windshield and when he could not find one he took one out of a parts car I had. He wanted to take out himself so he could save the gasket. That was probably 1979 or 1980. He was very proud of the car

8E45E
02-01-2017, 08:34 AM
It still appears to be a nice car, despite being an older restoration.

Convertible tops on older cars often had to be replaced after ten or so years if they weren't garaged. In the 1960's, I recall seeing many late forties cars substituted with the larger clear plastic window when the top was replaced as it was considered to be 'safer' by offering more visibility over the smaller glass windows.

Craig

RadioRoy
02-01-2017, 02:18 PM
It still appears to be a nice car, despite being an older restoration.

Convertible tops on older cars often had to be replaced after ten or so years if they weren't garaged. In the 1960's, I recall seeing many late forties cars substituted with the larger clear plastic window when the top was replaced as it was considered to be 'safer' by offering more visibility over the smaller glass windows.

Craig

That is an excellent point. The stock rear window is almost useless and there is a huge blind spot rearward.

handworn
02-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Notice that it was sold at some point by the Swab Wagon Co. of Elizabethville, Pa., according to the remnants of the dealer sticker. I searched for that online and was interested to discover that it still exists.

"In 1916, Swab made the decision to enter the automobile business themselves. In the early years of the operation, Swab sold Saxon, Chevrolet, Plymouth and Studebaker cars and trucks, such as the 1917 Studebaker “Big 6” Touring shown at left. After several years, Swab elected to continue with only the Studebaker line. Studebaker, who themselves had their start in producing wagons, later merged with the Packard Corporation in 1954. This change meant the arrival of the Packard line to Swab’s dealership. Several years later, Studebaker-Packard secured the rights to distribute Mercedes-Benz cars in the U.S., and thus Swab Wagon Co. added the Mercedes-Benz nameplate to its showroom. Swab president, Jonas Margerum (who remained Swab president until his passing at age 89 in 1998) foresaw the demise of Studebaker, and in 1960 Swab obtained a Chrysler-Plymouth franchise. Swab continued to sell Studebakers up until 1966, the year the last Studebaker rolled off the assembly line. It is to be noted that Swab Wagon Co. was a Studebaker dealer for exactly 50 years. Swab Wagon Co. sold and serviced Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge cars and trucks until May 2003 when the Dealership was closed."

http://www.swabwagon.com/history
(http://www.swabwagon.com/)

StudeRich
02-04-2017, 03:50 PM
Swab Wagon Co. builds Custom Truck Bodies, they have a Rescue Truck Body in the "Champion" Series and the "Commander"! :!:

In business since 1868 and a Studebaker Dealer until 1966!

r1lark
02-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Swab Wagon Co. builds Custom Truck Bodies, they have a Rescue Truck Body in the "Champion" Series and the "Commander"! :!:

In business since 1868 and a Studebaker Dealer until 1966!

This is long-time SDC member Mike Margerum's family's business.