Studebaker V8 Engine Cradles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Studebaker V8 Engine Cradles

Does anyone make/sell Stude V8 Engine Cradles on casters?

I could use three right now. Bolt together would be nice for shipping or storage.

I have cradles for other engines, but none for Stude V8s.

Don

I bought a cradle from Easy-Run for my 57 Golden Hawk 289 and have been pleased with it. Their web site is http://www.easy-run.net/c-50-engine-dollies.aspx

Comment

If you go on craigslist, you can often find engine stands pretty cheap. I always get the 4 wheel style. The 3 wheelers are toe crushers. I've never had to spend more than $25 for a used one. THen I also use a 2x4 cut to length to support the snout of the crank or the pulley. in the font. I've yet to have one fail in 40+ years.
      sals54

Comment

Originally posted by JoeW View Post
        I bought a cradle from Easy-Run for my 57 Golden Hawk 289 and have been pleased with it. Their web site is http://www.easy-run.net/c-50-engine-dollies.aspx
        Thanks for the link.

I've been buying engine cradles for under $100 and the ones from Kurt Stumpf are really excellent, but I've found none for Stude V8s.

Did the Universal Engine Dolly / Cradle just bolt up to your 289 with no issues?

Which one did you buy?

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
          If you go on craigslist, you can often find engine stands pretty cheap. I always get the 4 wheel style. The 3 wheelers are toe crushers. I've never had to spend more than $25 for a used one. THen I also use a 2x4 cut to length to support the snout of the crank or the pulley. in the font. I've yet to have one fail in 40+ years.
          This sounds like a lot more in my price range; but you probably have a lot more choice in Sacramento than here in the hinterlands.

Good suggestion, nonetheless.

I'll try Craigslist.

Comment

Have purchased a few cheapie ones and modified them for Stude's.
            OK for storage, but I wouldn't roll them around much, especially on a less than perfect floor.
            Also, I'd recommend steel wheel casters. Nylon/plastic/rubber ones tend to flat spot real bad during storage.

Also note the difference between an engine cradle, and engine stand, and an engine run stand.
            The OP has received replies about all three in this thread.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Don, the model is ERD 91006-2 which has the six inch wheels. It has the transmission kit as shown in the attached photo. If you only have the engine mounted it can be rotated 360 degrees for rebuilding ease. Here is a picture of mine and also a picture of the unit I made so the engine can be run out of the car.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01607.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1712284Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01606.jpg
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1712285

Comment

I have the bottom of a 4 wheel grocery store carriage, cut to bottom, then a stout 2 X 10 cradle made for Stude V8's. Very easy to make... and CASO -ready...!

Comment

Yes, stick with steel wheels, whatever else you do!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                    I have the bottom of a 4 wheel grocery store carriage, cut to bottom, then a stout 2 X 10 cradle made for Stude V8's. Very easy to make... and CASO -ready...!
                    ha ha. I have a friends 396 4 speed sitting on one of those in my garage. Its been like that, and moved often, for almost 10 years. Very strong.
                    sals54

Comment

I guess steel wheels are foolproof, but the engine stand shown in my pictures has had the engine on it since August of 2015 and I just moved it for the first time today after reading the steel wheel comments and the plastic wheels still roll around fine and have no flat spots.

Comment

Superb! Share with us who made your casters?

I guess steel wheels are foolproof, but the engine stand shown in my pictures has had the engine on it since August of 2015 and I just moved it for the first time today after reading the steel wheel comments and the plastic wheels still roll around fine and have no flat spots.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

I made a few Model A engine cradles by using 2 x 6 short pieces screwed together. I make the boards fit snug to the sides of the oil pan. I can them buy the dollies at Harbor Freight to set the engine and cradle on if I need to move it around. Very handy, and very little cost.

Comment

In answer to DEEPINHOCK's question, I don't know who made the casters, but they came as standard on the Easy-Run stand.

Comment

In answer to DEEPINHOCK's question, I don't know who made the casters, but they came as standard on the Easy-Run stand.
                              That looks like a great setup.

http://www.easy-run.net/c-50-engine-dollies.aspx

The casters look good. Are they hard material, or are they lined?
                              I see the unit costs $250 per..... Whew! Not for bulk consumption, eh?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Storage Stand.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1712293

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X