Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guido, How about a buggy primer?

Guido,
    Since you are the local (forum) Studebaker buggy collector I was wondering if you could give the rest of use a primer on how to identify a Studebaker buggy when it does not have a Studebaker tag on it. I think I can pick out a Studebaker wagon when I see one but don't know what to look for on a buggy to I.D. it as a Studebaker.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Gary,

While I do currently own a couple of Studebaker buggies, I have only branched out into this portion of the hobby in the last two years and am thus learning as I go. I have been fortunate that my buggies have carried their identifying marks (i.e. steps and tags) which made that aspect of it easier.

You have to understand that Studebaker was in the horse drawn business for 68 years and that their designs and products changed over time. I have yet to come across a compendium of all their horse drawn vehicles to gain an understanding of how they evolved over time and the identifying marks.

However, I am getting to the point that I can begin to recognize the doctors buggies. This is through a combination of items, including the shape of the body, the front of the box, the shape of the axles and supports, etc. There is still that one in Seymour that I am contemplating, let me know if you are interested in taking a look at it and I can put you in touch with the owner.

Finally, if anyone can provide me with any information (or a source) that would help to identify these vehicles, let me know.

Comment

Gary,

While I do currently own a couple of Studebaker buggies, I have only branched out into this portion of the hobby in the last two years and am thus learning as I go. I have been fortunate that my buggies have carried their identifying marks (i.e. steps and tags) which made that aspect of it easier.

You have to understand that Studebaker was in the horse drawn business for 68 years and that their designs and products changed over time. I have yet to come across a compendium of all their horse drawn vehicles to gain an understanding of how they evolved over time and the identifying marks.

However, I am getting to the point that I can begin to recognize the doctors buggies. This is through a combination of items, including the shape of the body, the front of the box, the shape of the axles and supports, etc. There is still that one in Seymour that I am contemplating, let me know if you are interested in taking a look at it and I can put you in touch with the owner.

Finally, if anyone can provide me with any information (or a source) that would help to identify these vehicles, let me know.

Comment

Gary,
        I still have the email with the Seymour buggy owners phone number. When you would like me to go look at it let me know. I can talk to you on the phone while I'm there or take pictures and send them to you.
        Maybe someone else has some insight on how to I. D. a Studebaker buggy.

Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO
        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

Gary,
          I still have the email with the Seymour buggy owners phone number. When you would like me to go look at it let me know. I can talk to you on the phone while I'm there or take pictures and send them to you.
          Maybe someone else has some insight on how to I. D. a Studebaker buggy.

Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

If you are curious about a particular one, send me a picture and I will take a look at it. I am tempted on the buggy, but would like to sell my '70 Power Wagon before making the commitment.

Comment

If you are curious about a particular one, send me a picture and I will take a look at it. I am tempted on the buggy, but would like to sell my '70 Power Wagon before making the commitment.

Comment

I was just interested in all things Studebaker. I have seen several wagons in the last 30+ years of SDC membership and have a good understanding of what to look for when I see a wagon. I've seen drawings in catalogs of buggies but they are not very useful in identifing a buggy in a field, barn or in an antique shop.
                I do not remember an artitle in Turning Wheels that has addressed the issue of identifing buggies or wagons. Fred Fox has written great articles on identifing Hawks, trucks, hub caps, and about every model year of Studebaker car and trucks. I think such an article would be very helpful and informative.

Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

I was just interested in all things Studebaker. I have seen several wagons in the last 30+ years of SDC membership and have a good understanding of what to look for when I see a wagon. I've seen drawings in catalogs of buggies but they are not very useful in identifing a buggy in a field, barn or in an antique shop.
                  I do not remember an artitle in Turning Wheels that has addressed the issue of identifing buggies or wagons. Fred Fox has written great articles on identifing Hawks, trucks, hub caps, and about every model year of Studebaker car and trucks. I think such an article would be very helpful and informative.

Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO
                  Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO

Comment

Guido/Gary: Have you ever discussed your horse-drawn vehicle interests with Frank Frost of Hastings MN? I haven't heard from Frank for several years, but he is still listed in the 2007 SDC Roster. At least during the '90s, he was "Mr. Horse-Drawn Studebaker Vehicle," and a heckuva nice guy, too. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Guido/Gary: Have you ever discussed your horse-drawn vehicle interests with Frank Frost of Hastings MN? I haven't heard from Frank for several years, but he is still listed in the 2007 SDC Roster. At least during the '90s, he was "Mr. Horse-Drawn Studebaker Vehicle," and a heckuva nice guy, too. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,

I have not talked with or met Frank. If you have any contact information, drop me an e-mail.

Gary

Comment

Bob,

I have not talked with or met Frank. If you have any contact information, drop me an e-mail.

Gary

Comment

If I might be so bold as to recommend the American Driving Society and the Carriage Association of America? They both specialize in horse drawn carriages and wagons. The ADS specializes in using and restoring the vehicles and the CAA in restoring and preserving. Both can be very helpful in identifying Studebaker carriages. One must also keep in mind that Studebaker supplied parts to small manufacturers all over the United States. In fact, I had a Kliber buggy that was manufactured in San Fransisco in 1902. It had Studebaker running gear parts without being a Studebaker.

For the Carriage Association Of America:
                            Helping preserve our horse-drawn heritage for 60 years.

For the American Driving Society:
                            Established in 1974, The American Driving Society, Inc. supports carriage drivers in the United States and Canada. Over 80 ADS-recognized events are held across North America each year. The purposes

There is, to my knowledge, no organization for horse-drawn Studebaker collectors. If there was, I would have joined twenty to thirty years ago when I did this kind of thing myself.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

If I might be so bold as to recommend the American Driving Society and the Carriage Association of America? They both specialize in horse drawn carriages and wagons. The ADS specializes in using and restoring the vehicles and the CAA in restoring and preserving. Both can be very helpful in identifying Studebaker carriages. One must also keep in mind that Studebaker supplied parts to small manufacturers all over the United States. In fact, I had a Kliber buggy that was manufactured in San Fransisco in 1902. It had Studebaker running gear parts without being a Studebaker.

For the Carriage Association Of America:
                              Helping preserve our horse-drawn heritage for 60 years.

For the American Driving Society:
                              Established in 1974, The American Driving Society, Inc. supports carriage drivers in the United States and Canada. Over 80 ADS-recognized events are held across North America each year. The purposes

There is, to my knowledge, no organization for horse-drawn Studebaker collectors. If there was, I would have joined twenty to thirty years ago when I did this kind of thing myself.

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X