PDA

View Full Version : Steering Power Steering Unit Identification

clarkwd
01-28-2017, 03:42 PM
I sort of finished my yellow 53 coupe and although it is fun on the road with the 259 and radials, it is no fun in my driveway when I have to turn around. I have the power steering unit shown in the picture and it seems like it should work fine. Looks like I need a couple holes in the frame for the cylinder mount and a pump. I also expect it should be rebuilt before I use it. So here's my question. What is it?
Thanks
Bill

StudeRich
01-28-2017, 03:51 PM
It IS a Bendix Type Power Steering setup similar to Ford, used on 1958 to 1966 Studebakers, but the Bellcrank, Hoses and reach Rod to the Control Valve Assembly would need to be measured or compared to a C or K Model to tell if this is from a Lark or Lark Type as some Parts would not fit a C or K Model.

Without looking up all the Parts in the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog and comparing Part Numbers, we are both guessing what fits and what does not.

You will also need Brackets for mounting the Ram and Pump, Crank Pulley and spacer, longer Bolts etc.

SN-60
01-28-2017, 05:54 PM
That L-O-N-G drag link indicates this setup indeed did come from a '58-'64 C/K Studebaker....Everything in the picture will fit your '53, however, I have no idea if the pitman arm shown in the photo will fit onto your present steering box! :confused: (give it a try before changing anything else)

jrlemke
01-28-2017, 06:27 PM
Look on this site for the list of templates for Stude. I don't remember which site. They will list all parts, inc. hardware. Also show needed holes to drill, etc. Much good info. in those templates. -Jim

jrlemke
01-28-2017, 06:38 PM
Found it! www.studebakerdriversclub.com/studebakertemplates.htm -Jim

clarkwd
01-28-2017, 08:00 PM
The pitman arm hole in the kit is bigger than on my box. The length of the drag link arm and the arm to the tie rods is the same on the kit as the car. Probably not a huge deal, but it looks like the drop of the tie rod arm in the kit is about 2 inches and the drop in the 53 is more like 3. This project is on hold until I find a pump and a pitman arm that will tie to the valve assembly.
Thanks for all your help.
Bill

SN-60
01-28-2017, 11:42 PM
The pitman arm hole in the kit is bigger than on my box. The length of the drag link arm and the arm to the tie rods is the same on the kit as the car. Probably not a huge deal, but it looks like the drop of the tie rod arm in the kit is about 2 inches and the drop in the 53 is more like 3. This project is on hold until I find a pump and a pitman arm that will tie to the valve assembly.
Thanks for all your help.
Bill

Or just go with a '58-'64 Hawk power steering box, column, & wheel....it's a 'bolt in', and not very hard to find! :)

bezhawk
01-29-2017, 09:14 AM
Buy a control valve ball from a mustang, and bolt it to your arm. Then you can mount the control valve to it.
http://www.stangerssite.com/CVparts.html

clarkwd
01-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Has anyone made a chart that shows the difference between S, SL, TA and TL boxes? I did a bunch of searches and failed to find something that explains it. I've found a box in my junk that has the right pitman spline but the steering shaft is shorter and has a smaller steering wheel spline. I've one in my yellow car that probably has the right pitman spline but has a longer steering shaft.
Bill