PDA

View Full Version : Neat old photo. Identify the Studebaker and the little guy in the middle!

Studebaker Wheel
01-27-2017, 08:15 PM
Two big stars in this interesting old photo from the late 1930s. Can you name them both? Knowing only one does not win you anything!

StudeRich
01-27-2017, 08:22 PM
Well I have heard of "Talking" over people before, but Standing 11 feet over them would definitely get their attention!
I see the Speaker Box in front also, but have NO idea who ANY of them are. :(

6hk71400
01-27-2017, 08:24 PM
K10 truck in the background with the guy sitting on the cab, and my guess is Mayor of New York, Fiorello La Guardia, next to at the time the tallest man in the world.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

8E45E
01-27-2017, 08:30 PM
Was he taller one any of these guys: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?29768-From-the-Archives-4-(pre-WWII)

Craig

Studebaker Wheel
01-27-2017, 08:57 PM
Was he taller one any of these guys: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?29768-From-the-Archives-4-(pre-WWII)

Craig

Yes, he was well over a foot taller that those two little guys!

6hk71400
01-27-2017, 09:05 PM
Well looking at the Forum archives, I am assuming it is Robert Wadlow at 8'11" and 490 pounds. Seeing the radio hookup is what I thought was a publicity event for the upcoming 1939 Worlds Fair in New York and that is why I said it was the Mayor of New York. At 5'2" tall Hizzhonor would look just about right if it is him in the photo. Just a guess

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

clonelark
01-28-2017, 12:04 AM
Well the guy under his Wadlow's right hand looks like Andy Granatelli.

HAWK64
01-28-2017, 01:08 AM
Well the guy under his Wadlow's right hand looks like Andy Granatelli.

Yes, I agree that could be Andy Granatelli.

6hk71400
01-28-2017, 06:15 AM
Mr. Quinn,

Any other hints? Since Mr. Wadlow died in 1940, I don't think it is Mr. Grantelli.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

TWChamp
01-28-2017, 06:26 AM
My guess was going to be Robert Wadlow and Mickey Rooney, but Mickey would have been younger than this guy appears to be.

6hk71400
01-28-2017, 06:32 AM
I remember seeing Mickey Rooney (Joe Yule) standing on the running board of a 1935 Land Cruiser. I believe he was 15 at the time. About the time this picture was made, he was in a movie about young Thomas Edison. I remember seeing it on TV in the 50's. So I do believe it was not Mickey Rooney in the picture. Mickey Rooney was playing Juvenile roles into the early 50's even though he was married to Ava Gardner in the 40's.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

Studebaker Wheel
01-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Actually the two "stars" are Robert Wadlow (The Alton Giant) and tallest man who ever lived at 8'11" and the K Series Studebaker truck. I do not know the location of the photo or any other people in the photo. Wadlow traveled extensively while in the employ of the Peters Shoe Co. of St Louis and drew a crowd wherever he went. One of my more revered collectibles is one of his shoes that he wore not long before his passing in July 1940 at the age of 22. The shoe is a size 35.

Scott
01-28-2017, 11:47 AM
IF you hover over the photo it shows you the title!!!! Wadlow copy2.jpg

Mark L
01-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Or you view the thread without logging in. The file names are shown instead of the photographs.

Jolly-John
01-28-2017, 07:29 PM
Mr. Wadlow would always eat at my Dad's cafeteria (Diamond's Cafeteria), when he was in Dubuque, Iowa doing promotional work for the shoe company. This was in the late 1930's. I recall Dad telling me how Mr. Wadlow would have to nearly double over in order to get through the restaurant's doorway. Dad mentioned that he was a super nice person. Because of his great personality, Dad thought people related to Mr. Wadlow as simply being an "interesting" guy, who happened to be nearly nine feet tall. In other words, the term "freak" (sorry if this term isn't PC today) was not applied to Mr. Wadlow....at least that's what my Dad observed. Thanks for posting the memory-jogging photos, Dick! John

01-30-2017, 12:25 PM
I was fascinated by the story about Robert Wadlow so I went to Wikipedia and found a well-written, factual piece about him. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wadlow
He was born a normal size (8 pounds 6 ounces), but grew rapidly, three feet six inches tall at one year, six feet tall at age eight and so on). He was still growing at the time of his death.

Studebaker Wheel
01-30-2017, 01:39 PM
Mr. Wadlow would always eat at my Dad's cafeteria (Diamond's Cafeteria), when he was in Dubuque, Iowa doing promotional work for the shoe company. This was in the late 1930's. I recall Dad telling me how Mr. Wadlow would have to nearly double over in order to get through the restaurant's doorway. Dad mentioned that he was a super nice person. Because of his great personality, Dad thought people related to Mr. Wadlow as simply being an "interesting" guy, who happened to be nearly nine feet tall. In other words, the term "freak" (sorry if this term isn't PC today) was not applied to Mr. Wadlow....at least that's what my Dad observed. Thanks for posting the memory-jogging photos, Dick! John

Yes, my uncle owned his own shoe store and had met him personally and commented on the fact that he was a genuinely nice person. The only book that I know of written about his life is aptly named "The Gentleman Giant," I do have a copy. Will post a photo of the size 35 shoe I have later.