power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: power steering

I have a leaking power steering. I'm going purchase hoses flow and return from rock auto I'm also thinking I should buy a power steering pump just in case it needs it I would have it on hand in case I need it. its a 64 cruiser 289 v/8 is there any special number I should look for?thanks in advance. leonard

1) there are 4 hoses ( but they don't usually leak )
    2) The pumps don't usually leak ( or fail )
    3) the ram does not usually leak ( or fail )
    4) The control valve is a different matter and can usually be repaired for around $15-25.00
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Clean everything up and put a piece of clean cardboard under it. let it set a couple days and then examine it. I'm with 64V; it is likely the control valve. Parts are available from SI, but replacing them won't be the most fun you've ever had. You can do it with the valve on the car. You might want to try a hoseclamp to compress the seal carefully to get it in. Do not use anything sharp. The hoses are getting a bit rotten after all these years. I took mine to Gary's Garage for that. He removed the bad hose , took it out to our farm implement dealer and had a new one made. If you decide to replace them all , I'd do it one at a time taking it off and having it rebuilt and reinstalling it before moving on to the next. It is amazing this system is as good as it is considering the rat's nest of hoses under there. I looks like it was designed by a middleschooler.

Comment

I have had best result having the pressure hoses made up locally. 64's are different than previous models. Find an old Ford pump from early 60's Ford w/ dipstick. Easy and cheap kits available....but different than Stude...Re-assemble valve "exactly" as it came apart....not fun on the ground....GL

Comment

I'd just order a control valve kit. Fix the control valve first, most likely leak spot, wipe off all the wet and dried up oil and drive it looking for drips. The pumps do leak but from behind the pulley, a cheap and simple seal replacement and maybe a RediSleeve on the shaft will fix that up. Just a note on the valve kit, do it the way the instructions say to do it, on the car, not what the repair manual says. Taking it off the car, and totally disassembling it will cause more problems and probably drive you to drink. Replacing hoses-all- should be done on the car-sorry guys, it works better to struggle removing each hose and putting on the one hose, than it does to take them all off and not getting them re-routed correctly. It takes some ingenuity to get the right angle to loosen and tighten the fittings but better than spending 2 months rebending and trying to get it back together correctly, if you have a farm implement repair facility or a tractor repair place locally, I recommend you remove each hose, take it to them, re-hose the metal ends, take it home install it, remove the next one etc. All the replacement hoses have some tweaking needed to fit right, easier to put back on what you took off. Good luck and have fun!!

Comment

This sounds like the perfect use for a digital camera. I like to take lots of pictures for later use when I forgot exactly how something was put together.

Comment

If you decide to replace the seal, search this forum for a step by step procedure that was written up by a forum member. It includes great photos. It was valuable for me when I replaced the shaft seal and stopped the leak.
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Working...
              X