Gonna Look at this Studebaker this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna Look at this Studebaker this weekend

I have a spare 1960 Flat Head 6 out of a Lark with a 3 speed overdrive.

I plan on getting underneath and looking at the frame and body for rust.

Owner said brakes worked when they unloaded off the trailer.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? I know these heads are prone to cracking.
    Current Automotive Technology Student @ Pittsburg State University

It looks pretty nice. Why they kept making six cylinder cars with automatic transmissions is beyond me. I know... it's because they could sell them, but boy are they S-L-O-W!

If you install your engine and transmission, you will have to come up with some more parts for the shifting system.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Figure on at least $500.00 for a dash cover, that is if you can find one. Yes spend the money on the dash for R Series cars. 6 and automatic.....your call but nice as it is, you could without blinking have $6,000 in a tops $4,000 car. A friend of mine looked at my 65 Cruiser with a great dash and said to me "Protect that dash like you would your wife. Both are hard to find and both you want to keep"

Bob Miles
      Tucson AZ

Comment

It looks like it could be fine transportation for a good price. I had one similar to this and it was a fine ride. I don't need to go fast. These are comfortable cars that steer easily even without power steering. The automatic transmissions work great. I'd go for it ntreaster. An excellent deal. You'll love it.
        Last edited by Commander Eddie; 01-25-2017, 02:14 PM.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

There is nothing wrong with those OHV Sixes as long as you keep them Cool by:

A. keeping the RPM down by going 55-60 MPH or less.

Or Option "B", change the Axle Ratio from the TOO LOW 3.73 to 3.31 or add Overdrive.

On a clean low milage Car like that the OHV Six may be OK, they are very Peppy 112 H.P. vs a very slow, weak 90 for a flathead. I would just replace the Trans. with the Overdrive.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I test drove a 63 with this same setup, a 6-cylinder and automatic, expecting sloth-like performance. While it certainly wasn't neck-snapping acceleration, I found it to be fine for most driving conditions. All things being equal, I'd say go for it, ntreaster! I'm jealous!
            Mike Davis
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

If you live in flat country, I think you'd be OK with this little gem. If hilly at all 4.10 or 4.27 R/A and OD....GL

Comment

I have had a couple six cylinder Larks and found them both quite nice to drive .. The 61 was really high mileage but drove great .. The 64 Commander with a 6 and automatic was great .. Not fast but it kept up with traffic ..
                Love my Lark

Comment

Sure looks like a good buy to me. I have a 63 Lark with a 3 speed stick without overdrive. I never drove it much because it didn't have overdrive.

Comment

Nice looking car. But I'd rebuild the OHV six if it needs it. I had a '53 Coupe with the flat head 6 cyl and auto trans. It wouldn't pull a greasy string. Even after a rebuild, it was so weak it was a danger on the roadway.

Originally posted by ntreaster View Post
                    https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/5951721477.html

I have a spare 1960 Flat Head 6 out of a Lark with a 3 speed overdrive.

I plan on getting underneath and looking at the frame and body for rust.

Owner said brakes worked when they unloaded off the trailer.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? I know these heads are prone to cracking.
                    edp/NC
                    \'63 Avanti
                    \'66 Commander

Comment

Good deal for a nice looking Lark type.
                      Just have to come up with a new dash pad cover. Have to search long and hard and you'll find one some where.
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Check the trunk for rust, these cars leaked thru the rear window seals (clips that they used created leaks as the seals dried out), as well as front fender rust. Fortunately NOS front fenders are still available!

Comment

I have a complete, uncracked dash with gauges that would go in that car- but I'm a long way from you. If you get the car I could maybe get the dash to south bend
                          Evan Davis
                          Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Nice, complete red dash with gauges on Ebay, bid currently at $267.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                              Nice, complete red dash with gauges on Ebay, bid currently at $267.
                              Nice Dash R1-R2 with 160 Speedometer and 6000 rpm Tach. Has the wiring also. Currently at $310 reserve not met with 1 day 8 hours to go.

Bob Miles
                              Tucson AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X