V8 can't find ID.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: V8 can't find ID.

Have an engine I cannot find the engine number on. It's supposed to be on the top left front or possibly the top rear by the distributer. I have found two nice horizontal machined spots (F&R) but no stamped number, or anything. Could it be on a vertical surface or?
    any suggestions!

No, it is a "Factory Replacement" Block. Many Block and Piston Assemblies were sold by Dealers and some Short Blocks, very often the Late Full Flow Filter acceptable (LOWER Right Rear of Block) replacements for Late '62 to '64 Full Flow Engines were used.

When these were used on earlier Cars that had a Bi-pass, partial flow Fram Canister on the Oil Filler pipe, they may have the Block-off Plate still attached to the Full Flow Location.

That would be a good thing, since it is likely a lot NEWER than the Car!

What year is the Car?

To determine if it is a 259 or 289 you will need to pull a Spark Plug and look or feel for a DISHED Piston used on 289's. Flattop Pistons were used on the 259's and also in the HIGHLY unlikely case of a Avanti or Jet Thrust High Performance R1 or R2 Engine.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-24-2017, 06:03 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Are you looking in the right place?
      The stamped number on Stude V8s can be found on a machined pad, driver side, top of block, between the valve cover and the valley cover, just behind the water pump manifold.
      NOT in the rear by the distributor.
      sals54

Comment

The OP is covering all bases, looking in the Rear, as well as the Front in case his Engine is a 1951 or 1952 V8 Block.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As I recall 1951 blocks were not stamped with an engine number, so it's no doubt from that year.

Comment

leonp, also be sure to clean the machined surface really well to see if there is either a clover leaf or a keystone mark there. Sometimes those are hard to see as they are not always stamped as firmly as the serial numbers are.
            sals54

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
              As I recall 1951 blocks were not stamped with an engine number, so it's no doubt from that year.
              Oh but they were. On the boss at the rear passenger corner, next to the distributor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1712233
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...