Coil springs 1966. Need help identifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Coil springs 1966. Need help identifying

Good afternoon, I have the front end apart on our 1966 Daytona 283 VF8. I am replacing the coil springs ( and every other worn front end part...). I know that I can order the new springs from Dave Thibeault or Studebaker international. Here is my trouble. The number stamped on the springs that came out is # 156 (then either a "1" or "7") then 665.

So, 156(1 or 7)665. . I cannot find that number in my Body and Chassis book dated October 1965. The numbers skip from (last three digits) 664 to 666. There looks like there may be a "P" stamped after the number.

To confuse me even further, I have a set of coil springs that my grandfather had on the shelf of his garage (he was the original owner), with the number 526129*NM stamped in them. These springs were never installed. This number is also skipped in my chassis book. The second spring (526129*NM) is a heavier coil, but 2 1/4" shorter.

My plan is to install a new factory correct heavy duty spring that was available that year for my car in an effort to bring the car back to original height and handeling. Is it possible that the 526 spring is the HVY DUTY spring for our 66' Daytona? Is there a more comprehensive Body and Chassis book or supplement that I am missing? Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance - Eric-

Both show in the 59 thru '64 parts manual. I started to type in the applications but there are quite a few. Let me know if you don't have a 59 - 64 parts manual and I will scan the pages for you.

The 526129 was a heavy duty spring for the 59 and 60 Lark V8s.
    Last edited by r1lark; 01-22-2017, 02:35 PM.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

My parts book shows a 1561663 - standard V-8 & 526122 for the H.D. front spring. The only other thing I can think of is the numbers stamped on your springs are casting numbers, not part numbers.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Use aftermarket springs

Comment

Thank you so much Paul, I don't have that parts manual. The resourcing on this forum is World Class. So, my grandfather must have been wanting to replace the springs, but has the wrong one. Now to find someone who could use these HVY DUTY springs

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
            My parts book shows a 1561663 - standard V-8 & 526122 for the H.D. front spring. The only other thing I can think of is the numbers stamped on your springs are casting numbers, not part numbers.
            That could be right Warren, but it looks like the part numbers are referring to a spring from the 59-64 manual. Have you done the springs in your Daytona? I know aftermarkets are available...

Comment

Sketchy26, I ended up taking pictures of each page, much easier than taking the parts manual apart.

There are three pages attached below, of the front springs from the '59 thru '64 parts book. I've circled all the places that the 1561665 and 526129 show up on the second and third pages. You will have to double click a couple of times to blow up the pics large enough to see everything.

Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170122_201847525.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1712158Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170122_201929064.jpg
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1712159Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170122_201942131.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1712160
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I wonder if anyone, somewhere, has a specification on each of the hundreds of springs listed as part numbers by Studebaker. It would seem that somewhere, a list must have existed for the "engineers" to pick from, to use in each application. Studebaker bought their springs, put numbers on them and used them for specific applications. Since they are no longer in business and not buying springs anymore, a list of the specifications of each would be much more useful than a part number assigned to a spring. For instance the useless reference in the Avanti manual " coil wire size .625 white and green heavy duty wire size .650 none" means absolutely nothing in the spring world. Installed height, free height, coil spacing, coil inside diameter, wire size, and rate mean something, and can be matched or made, the aforementioned description does nothing, even with a Studebaker part number. While there are still some OEM parts sitting on shelves, the probability that the exact one you need or want, if you really care to "duplicate" the original ride etc. of the original won't be there. You would then be able to really know what you had and can go from there.

Comment

The numbers stamped on the springs are the part numbers
                  The 526xxx were regular springs and the 15xxxx springs were progressive springs that used thinner diameter coils at the top.
                  The wire they were made of was actually tapered.
                  Those progressive spring gave a smoother ride when new but sagged after a while.
                  All heavy duty springs were 526XXX on the later cars

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I wouldn't bother fussing over any spring application for any Lark or Hawk, excepting engines. Chevy/Stude apps were different. Any HD spring would work just fine....You'd never know you had a 64' Cruiser spring in a 59' V8 Lark.......

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                      I wonder if anyone, somewhere, has a specification on each of the hundreds of springs listed as part numbers by Studebaker. It would seem that somewhere, a list must have existed for the "engineers" to pick from, to use in each application. Studebaker bought their springs, put numbers on them and used them for specific applications. Since they are no longer in business and not buying springs anymore, a list of the specifications of each would be much more useful than a part number assigned to a spring. For instance the useless reference in the Avanti manual " coil wire size .625 white and green heavy duty wire size .650 none" means absolutely nothing in the spring world. Installed height, free height, coil spacing, coil inside diameter, wire size, and rate mean something, and can be matched or made, the aforementioned description does nothing, even with a Studebaker part number. While there are still some OEM parts sitting on shelves, the probability that the exact one you need or want, if you really care to "duplicate" the original ride etc. of the original won't be there. You would then be able to really know what you had and can go from there.
                      I do not think the OP needs the Spring Specs, but I do believe these good people at Spring Specialties do have them, they list most or all Studebaker Part Numbers and have to know those specs to make them.

StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                      X