Interior upgrades.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Interior upgrades.

I have the seats pulled out of my 62 GT and ready to go to the upholstery shop this week or next to be re-done.

Sometime in the mid 90s a previous owner had repainted and reupholstered this GT to his liking. It went from black with black vinyl interior to a two tone green with a cream colored front half roof and green vinyl and cloth interior. The cloth center sections of the seats are badly sun damaged and dry rotted and have to be replaced. The green vinyl side sections are in very good shape so I'm only redoing the center sections in a cream colored vinyl to match the roof. So I'll be two toned inside and out. Unfortunately the cream vinyl seats will be too much of a contrast for the stark white headliner so I've ordered enough material to re-do the headliner in the same cream vinyl as well. This leads to the question, what is the easiest way to remove the old headliner, undamaged, so the upholsterer can use it as a pattern?
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Let the upholsterer remove the old headliner, I'm sure he would prefer to.

Comment

Second that, headliners with cross bows are tough to install right-even if done to original pattern--let them do it.

Comment

They are not hard to remove I just took one out a couple weeks ago. Just go slow so you don't damage it any more than necessary. If it was installed right it will be under the front and rear glass rubber but just cut with a sharp single edge razor as close to the pinch weld as possible. That way you can leave the glass in until ready to reinstall. It can be reinstalled with out removing the glass but more work and not as good of a job. The hard part is the edge where it's tucked up behind the windlace. I am replacing the windlace so I just pulled it out of the way. Then used a small screw driver to unhook the headliner from the side retainer a little at a time. As I got the the top bows I just unhooked them making note of what hole they where in and let them fall down with the headliner. Do not remove the bows from the headliner until it is out of the car and make sure you keep them in the right order so you will need to mark them somehow as they need to go back in the same spot on reinstall.

Comment

Working...
        X