Don't know if anyone saw this, but..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know if anyone saw this, but..

New Year's Eve, on the Barrett-Jackson auction, a very nice, 1947 Stude Pickup, went for around $78K

Bob Johnstone
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Course that was a repeat of last year's auction, right. This year's event starts on the 15th, I believe.

wagone

Comment

Course that was a repeat of last year's auction, right. This year's event starts on the 15th, I believe.

wagone

Comment

B-J does no favors to Studebaker. That truck was modified if I remember correctly. This years auction only includes one Studebaker - 1961 Champ Long bed P/U on the first day (Tuesday) and an 1987 Avanti Convertible on Thursday I think. On the other hand, Silver Auctions Phoenix/Scottsdale extravaganza has at least 8 Studebakers at last count. AT BJ without an all Areas PASS which costs $1500.00 you can't get up close and comfortable with the cars. Oh that is in addition to the all week pass for about $500.00. At Silver that's not the case as once in the gate you can go wherever you want and look at the cars which generally are more reasonable. Also the "Buyers Premium" is only 5% where greedy BJ's is 10%. So if you are rolling in dough and want the ultimate experience go to BJ and spend a lot of $$$. If like most of us you want a great car at an affordable price go to Silver or the Russo and Steele Auctions and have just as good a time at a fraction of the cost. Enough said.

See you in the future as I write about our past
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

B-J does no favors to Studebaker. That truck was modified if I remember correctly. This years auction only includes one Studebaker - 1961 Champ Long bed P/U on the first day (Tuesday) and an 1987 Avanti Convertible on Thursday I think. On the other hand, Silver Auctions Phoenix/Scottsdale extravaganza has at least 8 Studebakers at last count. AT BJ without an all Areas PASS which costs $1500.00 you can't get up close and comfortable with the cars. Oh that is in addition to the all week pass for about $500.00. At Silver that's not the case as once in the gate you can go wherever you want and look at the cars which generally are more reasonable. Also the "Buyers Premium" is only 5% where greedy BJ's is 10%. So if you are rolling in dough and want the ultimate experience go to BJ and spend a lot of $$$. If like most of us you want a great car at an affordable price go to Silver or the Russo and Steele Auctions and have just as good a time at a fraction of the cost. Enough said.

See you in the future as I write about our past
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Here's a link to the thread I started about the Studes at the upcoming Silver event.

If you want to buy a car...especially a Studebaker...there are probably better/cheaper places.

But B-J is a blast; the things you see there...besides the cars...is worth the admission price:
            The gold chained idiots who want to let everyone know that have too much money, the trashy looking trophy wives in silly outfits, some of the consignors looked like hustlers I wouldn't buy a parts car from,
            the "lifestyle" vendors selling all manner of weird/expensive stuff.
            I fell in love with a nice oil painting of James Garner driving an F1 car in the film "Grand Prix"...but was told that racer Bobby Rahal just bought it. It was only $9500 or something!
            It's like Vegas on nitro. All that was missing was having Hunter S. Thompson as a wingman.

On the plus side, I saw Carroll Shelby being driven in a bare metal Cobra, and later for a donation to his children's heart fund charity, he autographed a Daytona Cobra model for me.
            When he learned I was from Abilene and recently retired from the USAF, he talked about his WWII flying days in Texas.
            And I got to meet wax mogul Barry Meguire & publisher Keith Martin.

It's worth while to do at least once in your life.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Here's a link to the thread I started about the Studes at the upcoming Silver event.

If you want to buy a car...especially a Studebaker...there are probably better/cheaper places.

But B-J is a blast; the things you see there...besides the cars...is worth the admission price:
              The gold chained idiots who want to let everyone know that have too much money, the trashy looking trophy wives in silly outfits, some of the consignors looked like hustlers I wouldn't buy a parts car from,
              the "lifestyle" vendors selling all manner of weird/expensive stuff.
              I fell in love with a nice oil painting of James Garner driving an F1 car in the film "Grand Prix"...but was told that racer Bobby Rahal just bought it. It was only $9500 or something!
              It's like Vegas on nitro. All that was missing was having Hunter S. Thompson as a wingman.

On the plus side, I saw Carroll Shelby being driven in a bare metal Cobra, and later for a donation to his children's heart fund charity, he autographed a Daytona Cobra model for me.
              When he learned I was from Abilene and recently retired from the USAF, he talked about his WWII flying days in Texas.
              And I got to meet wax mogul Barry Meguire & publisher Keith Martin.

It's worth while to do at least once in your life.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I found this story posted on the SDC "story" page about a member and his BJ experience most enlightening... think I'll just continue to watch on TV from time to time.

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>
                [img]
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

I found this story posted on the SDC "story" page about a member and his BJ experience most enlightening... think I'll just continue to watch on TV from time to time.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>
                  [img]
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                  X