1950 Bahama Blue / Bahama Mist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Bahama Blue / Bahama Mist

Dad wants to paint his car blue as part of the restoration, it was gray from the factory and is currently black. He likes the look of all the medium to light blue 50 models but I am not sure if all the photos are of the correct factory blue.

I have done a lot of searching on the Web and have come up with the following info:

Stude color number 8263
    PPG color number 10573 (maybe)
    Dupont numbers: DUCO 756 / DULUX 181-24289

I wanted to buy a spray can from one of the places that mix touch-up paint, so I could do a spray card of the actual color before we commit to the color. None of the places I have found that do the touch-up spray cans recognize any of the numbers listed above. My local paint jobber will only sell spray cans a case at a time. I can buy a quart of paint for that price.

So my question is to all those owners out there of Bahama blue cars. Does anyone have their paint mix formula from when you had the paint mixed for your car? Or if you had it matched to a close enough modern color, what was that color?

Any info would be appreciated.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

1950 Paint ND Velvet Black, SS,8097,W-SS Tulip Cream, UF,8263,W-UF Bahama Blue, UG,8266,W-UG Highland Mist, UL,8283,W-UL Plaza Gray, UN,8293,W-UN Concord Blue, UP,8303,W-UP Midnight Blue, UR,8307,W-UR Bermuda Green, UT,8318,W-UT Copper Mist, UY,8336,W-UY Black Cherry, UZ,8337,W-UZ Comanche Red, VA,8338,W-VA Grove Green, VB,8339,W-VB Falcon Gray, VC,8340,W-VC Aqua Green, VD,8341,W-VD Steel Mist, VF,8364,W-VF Fiesta Tan, VP,8405,W-VP Old Ivory, Chrome Yellow, Clover Green, Lebanon Green, SK,W-SK Heather Gray, TR,W-TR Iroquois Blue, TX,W-TX Cuban Tan, UB,W-UB Cherokee Red, VS,W-VS Tuscin Tan

If you click on the Bahama Blue, it will also give you several cross references for the color that other makes used as well. I always use paintref.com as a starting point.

Hope this helps

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Comment

You should be able to buy pints of color to spray out for color comparison.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Ray-Lin website has a few modern formulas, including Bahama Mist. It's a metallic color.

Go to 'Tech Pages' in left column, scroll down to 'Paint & Body', then look for 'Paint Formula Page'.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I saw the Ray Lin site but the formula is for BASF. The only shop around me using BASF recently switched to PPG so I can't get it mixed.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X