1957 Packard LS 289 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Packard LS 289 Question

I recently bought a 289 with Automatic to use in my 54 Coupe. I have come to understand that this LS stamped 289 engine may be quite rare. Please fill me in on any info on this engine. I would hate to ruin this engine if its desperately needed for someone else's project.
    sals54

Man-up, put in your car and run it.
    Someone else can have it when you go the Stude show in the nether-world..!

Mike

Comment

LS numbered engines were used in 57-58 supercharged Packards. Unless you have the car it came out of and want to keep things "matching numbers", it's just a standard V8 block.

You've got it. Use it.

Comment

Depending on how late it's Serial Number is, it is either a Supercharged '57 Clipper or a Supercharged '58 Packard Hawk.

The Short Tail '57, or Long Tail '58 H.D. oil cooled Flight-O-Matic is desirable and rare.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you wanted you could say your car had a rare Packard V8 if it still has the supercharger installed even better

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
            I recently bought a 289 with Automatic to use in my 54 Coupe. I have come to understand that this LS stamped 289 engine may be quite rare. Please fill me in on any info on this engine. I would hate to ruin this engine if its desperately needed for someone else's project.
            Sal,....The "LS" designation on your 289 truly does make it a rare piece...However, what really impresses me is that you unselfishly want to preserve it for someone else who may be restoring one of those rare Packards, and could possibly use it.

It's too bad we don't have more folks like you on this forum!....Studebakerly, (Packardly),....SN-60

Comment

Thanks Ya'll... I know its basically just a 289, but I did want to throw it out there if anyone knew of a Packard guy looking for the correct LS for his supercharged Packard Hawk, or other. And BTW, it is a long tailshaft trans as well. It was billed as a very good running, non smoker which had come out of a good running car. It has the WCFB 4bbl carb also. It is missing the supercharger brackets, but it does have a nicely made AC support with an idler pulley.
              I'll give it a while for the word to get out. I can't do much till Noah gets back with the Ark anyway. Jeez Louise... its still raining here. We had a few days off, but fer cryin out loud... STOP already. I'm sick of it.
              sals54

Comment

It has the WCFB 4bbl carb also. It is missing the supercharger brackets, but it does have a nicely made AC support with an idler pulley.
                I.
                IIRC, the supercharged Packards had the same Stromberg 2bbl as the Stude Golden Hawks. If it has a 4bbl, it probably wasn't originally supercharged.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

If the engine serial number starts with LS it was a supercharged engine quite a few had supercharger removed when supercharger needed repair work. Is the pulley for supercharger drive still on crankshaft. If just has L would have been from non supercharged 1958 sedan,wagon or hardtop.

Comment

Would it be possible to give the numbers that follow the LS ? My former Packard Hawk was a CA car when new, and had an incorrect engine when i purchased it. Always wondered what the chance would be of finding the correct engine when i owned it.
                    Thanks, Dave

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      IIRC, the supercharged Packards had the same Stromberg 2bbl as the Stude Golden Hawks. If it has a 4bbl, it probably wasn't originally supercharged.
                      jack vines
                      It IS an LS Engine Jack, so it WAS a Supercharged Packard Super 289.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

sals54
                        pm'd you.
                        Bill

Comment

The engine number is: LS 1214
                          According to the engine ID table on this site, would make it a 57 Packard Clipper supercharged engine.
                          sals54

Comment

The engine number is: LS 1214
                            According to the engine ID table on this site, would make it a 57 Packard Clipper supercharged engine.
                            Thanks Sal, Yes it is a 57 Packard engine. The Packard Hawks started with LS-5,201 as the first engine number. Thanks again, Dave

Comment

Originally posted by 58L-J8 Guy View Post
                              Thanks Sal, Yes it is a 57 Packard engine. The Packard Hawks started with LS-5,201 as the first engine number. Thanks again, Dave
                              I helped Sal get this engine and the guy he got it from has the build book which shows the car it came out of and the supercharger on the engine. Unfortunately the previous owners wife wanted A/C so off came the blower and on went a compressor. At the same time the guy decided to upgrade to the four barrel intake and ECFB carb. It was a good running engine and didn't smoke or make any funny noises. Wish I had a place to store it as I would love to have purchased it. But I am glad it went to a good home. I agree with Sal that it would be even better if it ended up helped someone with a Packard restoration.

Comment

Working...
                              X