Head and manifold gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Head and manifold gasket

The shop manual for the 1950 Commander says to install the manifold gasket with the seams facing the block and the head gasket is to be coated with a thin layer of Perfect Seal. The manifold gasket I have from SI has no seams and I have been told not to use any sealer on the head gasket. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

Check the manifold for even flanges. They are notorious for cracking if they are not level across the length. I use a very thin finger smeared coating of high temp copper silicone on the gasket, and always spray copper coat in the head gaskets. Follow the recommended torque sequence from the shop manual. Make sure the manifold clamps are not bent or cracked. You may have to retorque the manifolds after the first heat cycle.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

You can still purchase Perfect Seal #4 Gasket Maker. Marine dealers have it in stock but in large size containers. I bought some from the company in a 4 oz can much cheaper. I just called them and ordered it. Good all around sealant.

Comment

Working...
      X