I'm selling Wilbur ('60 Champ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm selling Wilbur ('60 Champ)

Got Wilbur back from the mechanic today and am going to list him on the 'bay. Wilbur is a '60 Champ short-bed (Fleetside) has a 245-six and OverDrive (not functioning). He runs and drives and after I've done a bit of work on the engine, I'll post him on the 'bay. I was thinking around $3500 as a price.

Bad:

the paint is not great and somewhat flat. It has freckles (Valley Oak sap) all over the hood and cab roof. Other than that, there are very few dings or dents. A few minor scrapes.
    When it was owned by Cal DOT the bed was switched for the new Fleetside offered by Studebaker in '61. The truck still has the (factory) step-side bumper in the rear. Paint is driver only.
    The head weeps a touch in very hot weather, however the truck has never overheated, even when pulling a full trailer (and full bed) of Oak firewood over Buckhorn Pass (3215 ft). Had to go rather slow, in second, but the old man went all the way up without any issues. It was over a hundred that day. So, no the head issue hasn't been a problem.
    It has a Chrysler radiator and headlamp switch.
    I believe the seat is Chrysler too (somewhat tired, that).
    Top speed around sixty-five.
    Tires are old, need replacing.
    no spare.
    wipers don't work.
    heater/defroster doesn't work.

Good:

runs and drives like a Champ, even without the OverDrive functioning.
    Floors have been repaired. A rather funky job, but quite serviceable.
    Studebaker floor mats!
    All mechanical components work well.
    lights and signals work well.
    Wired for 4-way flat trailer plug.

Here's a few pictures (no, I won't be using these in the ad):

Some of these were taken when I was first cleaning up the truck. So, yeah it doesn't look its best. My question is; does anyone here think my asking price is fair? The truck has a clear and current title.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Seems like a fair price to me, Ron. Wish I could take him off your hands.
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

He looks like a faithful friend!
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Yeah, driving him to town and back yesterday reminded me how much fun this truck is to drive. Actually I like driving Wilber more than I do Ed ('62-longbed V8) The difference in the wheelbase makes this truck much more fun to drive. However, as a transportation vehicle, the cab is just too tight on both Champs for me. With my back issues, that cab is just too tight anymore. The '56 stationwagon (Ol'Bess) is much more comfortable to drive. However, to get her to a level that is actually safe to drive, let alone tow anything, she needs some expensive work.
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

studeclunker, looks like a neat old truck and the price seems VERY fair ! That seat may be MOPAR, but it sure looks like an early 70s Monte Carlo seat like I used in a couple of my Rancheros ! Very comfortable and fit "door to door", ha ! Good luck sir.

Comment

Ron - I cannot quite make out the VIN - could I have the numbers so I can add Wilbur to the '60 Champ registry? All I can make out is 18XX8. I have not be able to add a 5E6 since 2014. Thanks and have always had a soft spot for those 5E6s - end and beginning of two important parts of Studebaker truck history

Comment

Gosh that's a great looking truck! Love the color. That price seems very reasonable and in fact seems a bit low to me but what do I know? Sorry about your back issues 'cause I'd bet you'd love to keep him if you could and who could blame you? Your Champ will make someone a very happy owner. Best of luck with the sale and thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
              X