LBJ & Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LBJ & Studebaker

Long time members may already know this but LBJ was on record suggesting on Jan. 25, 1964 that Defense Secretary, Robert McNamara, could place an order for 100,000 small cars that UAW president, Walter Reuther was proposing to be built at the shuttered Studebaker plant in South Bend. McNamara told Johnson that small cars weren't appropriate for the Pentagon. LBJ's response was "What about all those sergeants whirling around in Mercurys, delivering messages for generals?"

According to the the excellent book, Once in a Great City by David Maraniss, Reuther had been urging automakers since 1949 to build a small car . His plan was to have the Big Three work together to produce a car to compete with the Volkswagen.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda!
    Last edited by rbruner; 01-18-2017, 03:59 AM.

And they had their chance at that apple twice! They were offered Volkswagen after WWII, and Nissan made them an offer in the early 60's. Of course, Studebaker management was not terribly bright or forward looking, and turned down both offers.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

But they sure grabbed up Mercedes Benz distribution! :-)

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
      And they had their chance at that apple twice! They were offered Volkswagen after WWII, and Nissan made them an offer in the early 60's. Of course, Studebaker management was not terribly bright or forward looking, and turned down both offers.
      edp/NC
      \'63 Avanti
      \'66 Commander

Comment

I always thought it would've been cool if somehow Studebaker, Checker and Rambler could've merged for economies of scale... And, having Volkswagen in the 60's would've been a gold mine. My late Dad and Uncle owned a large automotive supply warehouse in the 50's and 60's. They made their road salesmen drive cheap arse VWs and Rambler station wagons.
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

There were already plenty of economical small car choices available at fleet car prices then without adding more supply.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1712081Could've been a chance for the Studebaker Sparrow!
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Reuther's vision was to create a peacetime Arsenal of Democracy to win the economic world war. Estimates for 1964 imports were 500,000 units. He wanted to re-employ laid off Studebaker workers with the UAW's joint venture plan.

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]61408[/ATTACH]Could've been a chance for the Studebaker Sparrow!
                Do any dimensions exist for the Sparrow? I wonder how much smaller than the Lark it would have been?

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                  But they sure grabbed up Mercedes Benz distribution! :-)
                  Is it possible that the board of Studebaker-Packard was looking ahead to the day when they would diversify the corporation out of the automobile manufacturing business, and saw the U.S. distribution rights to Mercedes Benz as an alternate way to provide the dealer network with product (thereby avoiding potential lawsuits)?

Comment

Is it possible that the board of Studebaker-Packard was looking ahead to the day when they would diversify the corporation out of the automobile manufacturing business, and saw the U.S. distribution rights to Mercedes Benz as an alternate way to provide the dealer network with product (thereby avoiding potential lawsuits)?
                    No. You're giving them too much credit.
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

This got me to thinking about the stripped six cylinder Chevelles I drove in the 70s, and that last one, a light green K-car, talk about plain.

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]61408[/ATTACH]Could've been a chance for the Studebaker Sparrow!
                        More about the Sparrow here:

Comment

Working...
                        X