Results of not dial indicating the bell housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Results of not dial indicating the bell housing

I am still searching for a solution for Golden Hawk's problems. Since the transmission has been removed and replaced several times and a rebuilt torque converter installed I am wondering if the transmission shop checked the bell housing for alignment.
    I have searched but could not find any description of the result of having a misaligned bell housing other than one poster's comment that it could put undue stress on torque converter plates.
    Everybody stresses the need to dial indicate but what happens if it is not done and the alignment is out of spec?

If it is the original bell housing, it is fine. One you put it back on, and original dowels, then it is back in the factory alignment.
    If it is not the original bell housing you may have trouble ahead. If it is out of specified tolerances, then the flex plate will have to take up the misalignment every revolution of the crank. That much movement breaks the plate around the mounting holes, and can also ruin the front pump bushing in the transmission.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

What bezhawk says is true. I even dial indicate original factory assemblies. Not all of those are within specifications. Check them all.
      james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
        I am still searching for a solution for Golden Hawk's problems.
        Steve (5brown1), you indicate you are experiencing problems without sharing the symptoms. What sort of problems?
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Excessive Starter Ring Gear and Starter Bendix Drive Unit wear are also at times a condition of poor Bell Housing Alignment.

On a Manual Trans. Input Shaft and Bearing wear and popping out of Gear happens.

It is best to not contemplate what MIGHT happen. Just do as Jim Pepper says; ALWAYS check it, and or Dial it in!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rockne10,
            I didn't list the problem as I have posted that information in previous threads and did not want to repeat it. I am suspecting that the torque converter is bad and having seen a post mentioning undue stress on converter plates being a result of failure to properly align the bell housing and nothing else in my search, I thought I would inquire here and see if anyone else thinks it would affect the torque converter. So far no one has mentioned torque converter problems resulting from misalignment.

Here is a link to a previous post. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...nics-solicited
            I don't know what happened to the video links.
            Last edited by 5brown1; 01-16-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X