PDA

View Full Version : Paint: I need your help again!! The white on 1955 grill inserts

Charlie D
01-16-2017, 12:42 AM
Guys,

As some of you know, I am going back together with my '55 President State Sedan. From a research of some older posts it appears that an Argent Silver will work on the inside of the grill. There is a flying V? with chrome on the front and a whitish color farther back on it. I have attached a picture of a NOS gold S that sits on the V. It does not look like a full blast gloss white. Those of you who have been down this road can you suggest the shade or name of a white spray can paint that will work pretty good? The picture is of an eBay offering.

Thank you,
Charlie D.

SN-60
01-16-2017, 07:45 AM
It is a slightly off white color Charlie....VERY similar to the white color GM used on their vehicles for many years.....Off the top of my head, I believe it's "GM code 11" :)

2moredoors
01-16-2017, 11:46 AM
I could not find an exact white duplicate to what Studebaker used but I was more concerned that the paint would adhere to a chrome surface and not run. I used a paint called Sign Painters' "1 SHOT", Lettering White. I know that it is available in the USA and Canada. Half pink can cost about $10.00. I applied IT with a small roller, no brush strokes. Looks quite original and again I say "the paint does not run". Max uses it for pin striping, I know as he sells it with his paint striping kits.

Charlie D
01-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Thank you!! I Googled that paint and it looks like what I need. I was thinking rattle-can but English Color can mix me up 1/2 pint of acrylic urethane single stage for about $20. They call it an Ermine White. I think it will look nicer and last longer than the rattle-can paint. If it does not adhere to the chrome, 2moredoors' suggestion can be explored.

I also have 1/3 quart of the interior trim acrylic enamel left over. It is a silver-gray paint which is pretty close to the greige mist metallic. I am thinking of spraying the inner part of the grill itself with this. I am not sure of how close it is to the Argent silver previously suggested in another thread. Matching the interior color may be a positive thing.

Charlie D.

SN-60
01-16-2017, 02:31 PM
I believe that interior color you have left over will look good on that inner grille area....too shiny a silver, as many aerosols are, wouldn't really be "it"!

As far as paint adhesion is concerned...yes, that's real important!....We've all seen nice paint work blow right off difficult to paint surfaces at a car wash! :eek:

At the shop, we use an aerosol product called 'BULLDOG' (available at body shop supply stores)....It really helps with paint adhesion on stainless steel, aluminum, chrome plated surfaces, etc.

Best of luck!....Keep those '55's rolling!!!!!! :!:

63t-cab
01-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Yes it WILL be better than rattle can,all Year long :!:

Thank you!! I Googled that paint and it looks like what I need. I was thinking rattle-can but English Color can mix me up 1/2 pint of acrylic urethane single stage for about $20. They call it an Ermine White. I think it will look nicer and last longer than the rattle-can paint. If it does not adhere to the chrome, 2moredoors' suggestion can be explored.

I also have 1/3 quart of the interior trim acrylic enamel left over. It is a silver-gray paint which is pretty close to the greige mist metallic. I am thinking of spraying the inner part of the grill itself with this. I am not sure of how close it is to the Argent silver previously suggested in another thread. Matching the interior color may be a positive thing.

Charlie D.