R1 heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: R1 heads

I am thinking of putting a pair of R1 heads #7570 on my stock '63 289 with dished pistons. I was wondering if these heads are the same (besides the smaller combustion chambers) as conventional 289 heads? Are these a straight fit or is there anything I will need to modify?

Thanks in advance,
    Sam

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
    I am thinking of putting a pair of R1 heads #7570 on my stock '63 289 with dished pistons. Are these a straight fit or is there anything I will need to modify?

Thanks in advance,
    Sam
    Straight fit, no worries there. Are you looking for increased performance.? When you say stock, what casting number have you got now, i.e current compression ratio?

Comment

You sure you don't have 570 heads on your stock engine now? This was the standard head for '63 - '64 259" and 289" engines. And the 570 heads were also R-1 heads, but the increased compression ratio was developed by the pistons, not by combustion chamber size.

Comment

The 570 heads are/were used on standard engines, R1 engines, R2 engines and truck engines.
        They are a good casting in general. More even in wall thickness than others I've tested.
        And as has been said, the compression ratio between the 570 head and most others is within just a few CC's of most others. The piston with the big depression on the center is the compression ratio killer.

Mike

Comment

I didnt realize the 289s came with 570 heads in '63-'64. The original heads are not currently on the car, but I do have them in storage they have stuck valves. I never looked at the casting numbers and I probably should. Currently on the car I have a set of older '55 259 heads.. I think (though I am not completely sure) that the casting numbers are 555? The 259 they came off of is out of a president speedster.

I dont currently have the mentioned set of R1 570 heads. I can pick them up for pretty reasonable price, but if I already own a set then its no bother. They guy selling also claims to have a set of older 555 high compression heads he would throw in on the deal, but I may already have those too. I think tomorrow I better go check to see what I have.

Comment

The 570 heads have some subtle updates but in general they are the same as the 555 heads. The chambers are about the same size. Drain back holes on the later heads are a little larger. 570 heads were used on 63/64 259/289/R1. The R1 assemblies will have stronger valve springs and HD exhaust valves. The castings are the same.
            james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
              I am thinking of putting a pair of R1 heads #7570 on my stock '63 289 with dished pistons. I was wondering if these heads are the same (besides the smaller combustion chambers) as conventional 289 heads? Are these a straight fit or is there anything I will need to modify?

Thanks in advance,
              Sam
              Originally posted by jpepper View Post
              The 570 heads have some subtle updates but in general they are the same as the 555 heads. The chambers are about the same size. Drain back holes on the later heads are a little larger. 570 heads were used on 63/64 259/289/R1. The R1 assemblies will have stronger valve springs and HD exhaust valves. The castings are the same.
              Wouldn't the original fiber camshaft gear need to be replaced with an aluminum gear?

regards,
              Jay

Comment

Originally posted by IMJ View Post
                Wouldn't the original fiber camshaft gear need to be replaced with an aluminum gear?
                regards, Jay
                Sure, AND to do it "Right" as an R1/R2: Tri-Metal Clevite 77 Rod Bearings, and if found years ago in NOS or NORS, the (3) Center Main Bearings in H.D. Tri-Metal etc.

I don't think we were talking about converting the whole engine to an "R" Series, just Heads.
                Otherwise, Windage Trays, PCV Vented Oil Pan, Timing Gear Cover, Lifter Cover, H.D. Intake Valves, etc. etc would have been mentioned.

With the Low Compression and lower performance i.e. RPM that the OP is planning, none of that is necessary, unless someone would want to prolong it's life a bit, maybe beyond their OWN!
                I have to admit, I am guilty of doing just that!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was incorrectly under the assumption that the aluminum camshaft gear was needed because the fiber gear wasn't strong enough to handle the stronger valve springs on R1 heads.

regards,
                  Jay

Comment

Rich,
                    Give us a source for Clevite 77 rod and main bearings, please.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Sure, AND to do it "Right" as an R1/R2: Tri-Metal Clevite 77 Rod Bearings, and if found years ago in NOS or NORS, the (3) Center Main Bearings in H.D. Tri-Metal etc.

I don't think we were talking about converting the whole engine to an "R" Series, just Heads.
                    Otherwise, Windage Trays, PCV Vented Oil Pan, Timing Gear Cover, Lifter Cover, H.D. Intake Valves, etc. etc would have been mentioned.

With the Low Compression and lower performance i.e. RPM that the OP is planning, none of that is necessary, unless someone would want to prolong it's life a bit, maybe beyond their OWN!
                    I have to admit, I am guilty of doing just that!
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                    X