Pic of Flightomatic setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pic of Flightomatic setup

Photo of the short tail Golden Hawk Flightomatic setup which a forum member with a balky 1955 'DG' transmission is interested in.
    Attached Files

Looks clean and nice, but whats with the Jumpered Cooling Line?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Looks clean and nice, but whats with the Jumpered Cooling Line?
      That keeps everything inside "clean and nice"!

Comment

I'd be interested as well- if I had the cash, and if it wasn't so far away.

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        That keeps everything inside "clean and nice"!
        Good call. It's not in a car- there's no need having the lines all up in your way...

StudeDave '57
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Haven't heard back from my forum friend who expressed interest in this setup,.....so I guess it's still 'On The Market'!....Once again, it's the IDEAL transmission setup for someone with a '53-'55 V8 C/K, who has had enough with babying their balky 'DG' automatic,.....or trying to deal with the one or two mechanics in the United States that understand and really can fix that old Detroit Gear monster!

Also, this is a way to keep it 'ALL STUDEBAKER'!!

This is a '57 Golden Hawk HD water cooled Flightomatic, complete with bell housing, torque converter, drive plate, new trans mounts, starter, speedo cable, correct HD C/K two piece driveshaft, and all necessary linkage.....'53-'55 C/K auto trans steering column (which you'd already have) works perfectly with this setup.

I'm posting a few pics of the inside of this trans, when we first opened it up..............

Asking price for the works.......$1200 (parts are in Maine)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SN-60; 01-16-2017, 01:31 PM. Reason: location

Comment

That's pretty.

I know they are good.
            I have one in my '57 Parkview.

It came with a complete (replacement) 289 from a '57 Golden Hawk that had been beautifully restored, and then wrecked a short time later. We installed a small trans cooler that helps out a TON in that department.

On a related note-- I have a long tail Flight-o-Matic from a dearly departed '66 Cruiser that I one day hope to adapt to my '58 Packard, so it can also run much cooler and last much longer...

StudeDave '57
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

So, it's never been gone through? I wouldn't bother with the labor without replacing all the seals. Nothing like doing a job twice!
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                So, it's never been gone through? I wouldn't bother with the labor without replacing all the seals. Nothing like doing a job twice!
                I agree!...This would be the time to reseal it. As far as being gone through, I never did, but from the cleanliness inside the unit, and evidence here and there of mechanics 'scratches' on bolts, etc, I'd guess it was overhauled at some point over the last 60 years!.....Like StudeDaves's unit, this one also came from a wrecked '57 Golden.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                  That's pretty.

I know they are good.
                  I have one in my '57 Parkview.

It came with a complete (replacement) 289 from a '57 Golden Hawk that had been beautifully restored, and then wrecked a short time later. We installed a small trans cooler that helps out a TON in that department.

On a related note-- I have a long tail Flight-o-Matic from a dearly departed '66 Cruiser that I one day hope to adapt to my '58 Packard, so it can also run much cooler and last much longer...

StudeDave '57
                  Yes Dave, these HD Flightomatic units are real tough....heck, it's basically the same unit as an Avanti Powershift, and those babies can handle 'R3' power all day long!

Comment

On the same note, I have an Avanti power shift, rebuilt and complete with bell housing, HD torque converter, new cooling lines, and a box full of mostly new or restored parts to convert a manual Avanti to Automatic. Price is negotiable but pickup only.

Comment

WCP,....I also have a surplus completely rebuilt Avanti Powershift trans and associated parts, including Avanti auto trans floor shifter assy.......however, I'd want to 'SWAP ONLY these parts towards parts/pieces of a Stude Avanti 'stick' (4-speed) setup.

Comment

I had the same basic transmission in my '63 V8 Rambler that never had the pan off or fluid changed. I know that for a fact because I was with my dad the day he bought it. He gave me the car with about 40,000 miles on it and I ran the hell out of it for over another 100,000 miles before I totaled the car for the second time in it's eighth accident. Never had another one in the over 40 years since. The transmission didn't slip and shifted perfectly at the time but did weep a bit of tranny fluid. I have since then over the years blown up 2 Torqueflites even though I never gave them the abuse I gave the Flash-O-Matic in my teens and early 20's.

Comment

Yes. While the Studebaker "Powershift" was labelled as AS2-10, The Rambler transmission was tagged AS2-10A - minimal differences between them. I have the BW parts list for both.

Comment

Anyone have a good torque converter for a 57 Golden Hawk? I am expecting to need one this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
                              Anyone have a good torque converter for a 57 Golden Hawk? I am expecting to need one this spring.
                              You might try Stephen Allen's. I think he has some NOS ones. He could deliver to South Bend in May. PM me and I'll pass along his phone number.

Comment

Working...
                              X