Digram with crank flange to block measurements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Digram with crank flange to block measurements

I have searched high and low, but can't find anything showing the distance from the plane of the block at the bell housing mounting and the surface of the flywheel mounting on the crankshaft. Also if anyone knows, the depth of the pilot hole drilling in the crank end. If you have those you might also have the measurement of the crank face to the flywheel clutch face. I have read a bazillion swaps and "what works" articles, but rather than taking everything apart and do those measurements myself, it would be nice to have them. As mentioned before, I'm pulling my Power Shift and converting to currently available manual transmission using a 61-62 GM pattern bell. All the articles I have found seem to miss something or other, eventually getting it to work, but some minor critical info is missing in each article. These measurements will allow me to calculate exactly what I need to make and modify to get it right the first time. Thanks for any information you can provide or a link with that info. I have all the articles written and found at Bob's--still a few missing pieces.

FWIW, I've done many transmission conversions and always begin with the OEM transmission input shaft length and pilot dimension. Match that and you know you'll be good to go.

I know the more common Studebaker and Packard V8 transmission input shaft dimensions, but don't have one for the Chev pattern Stude T10. Any reason to believe it's different than the others?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Fred, I measured 3 289 cranks. The depth of the pilot bearing hole in the crank ran from 2.293" to 2.310". From crank face to flywheel face will be all over the place, since you don't know how many times the flywheel has been surfaced and how much has been removed, or the depth of the register in the back face of the flywheel. For those I can give you no hard and fast dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        FWIW, I've done many transmission conversions and always begin with the OEM transmission input shaft length and pilot dimension. Match that and you know you'll be good to go.

I know the more common Studebaker and Packard V8 transmission input shaft dimensions, but don't have one for the Chev pattern Stude T10. Any reason to believe it's different than the others?

jack vines
        I actually have a Stude T10 input shaft I bought just for this purpose, but the wear area from the pilot would indicate that "a lot" of the tip was past the .88 inch long Stude pilot bushing and into the hollow behind it on the crank. Thus a real measurement needed as anything used as a substitute will need machining-but how much?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          Fred, I measured 3 289 cranks. The depth of the pilot bearing hole in the crank ran from 2.293" to 2.310". From crank face to flywheel face will be all over the place, since you don't know how many times the flywheel has been surfaced and how much has been removed, or the depth of the register in the back face of the flywheel. For those I can give you no hard and fast dimensions.
          Well that explains why my T10 input shaft wear shows so much of the nose was past the pilot bearing surface, Thanks, that answers one of my questions. Now with the flywheel mount face of the crank to the plane of the back of the block at the bell housing mount area, combined with the Stude bell housing "hat height" that I have will give me a range I can use to determine just how much input shaft spline removal I will need to do on a TKO 600 so that the right support and clearance will be there once installed.

Comment

Fred, I measured from the crank flange to the face of the flywheel with a new flywheel and found 1.115". It would be nice if you put up a diagram of the dimensions you need. From the face of the flywheel to the block is 1.888". Hat height? Flywheel mounting face to block mounting face .773".

Comment

Thanks Allen,
              This supplies all my missing numbers. I have the cutaway drawing almost complete with all the dimensions overlapped in cross section to show the original assembled configuration. That way it will be available for anyone wishing to do a conversion or trans transplant. Give me a day and you'll see why I wanted this for my use.

Comment

The hat height is 6.950" +or- .010". I set up 6 Stude housings on my granite table and they ran from 6.938" to 6.953".

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                  The hat height is 6.950" +or- .010". I set up 6 Stude housings on my granite table and they ran from 6.938" to 6.953".
                  That seems to verify my T10 bell although not as accurate as your measurement mine shows 7.0 +/- 1/64 depending on angle of viewing. Got side tracked, diagram will take another day or two, answers to interference are showing with newer trans-mostly due to the pilot surface length and angle of the splines going down to the pilot surface.

Comment

Working...
                  X