Factory stamping presses and manufacturing info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory stamping presses and manufacturing info

I am a machining teacher now but was a Stamping engineering before taking that job and am interested in the manufacturing plant stamping presses and processes. This interest came when I was replacing the rear broken spring and cleaned the bottom U bolt bracket. It was a 1/4 inch plate that was stamped and had to take some heavy tonnage to punch this part out. I was wondering what Turing wheels articles deals with stamping presses and their sizes and had some pictures.
    The body stamping of the front hawk fenders is also of interest on how they wrapped the metal around the headlight area.

There are Studebaker books that have pictures of the old hammer presses . One that comes to mind is Studebaker The Complete Story
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

'Clearing' presses.

Comment

A lot of the Studebaker stamping presses and dies sat outside the shuttered factory for years.
        Some of the decent ones went to Chrysler, iirc. But a lot were just left to rot until they were scrapped.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I thought that AM General obtained some of the presses and continued to use them to stamp parts for the HUMVEE in the old stamping building next to the engineering building that SASCO moved into. I accidently drove around the guard shack and onto the building grounds during one of the National Meets and there were a lot of dies stored on racks outside the building.

Also do a search on YouTube, there should be videos of the Studebaker plant (and other auto manufactures) showing the stamping process.
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Working...
          X