Packard club wants to join local SDC chapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard club wants to join local SDC chapter

OK, here's the deal. The Wichita area Packard, Hudson, and Studebaker chapters have been friendly for 15 years or so - planning and enjoying events for all 3 clubs. However, the Packard club believes that they are dying. They want to join OUR club. While we enjoy these folks immensely (we even share 3 couples in both clubs), what will be the ramifications for truly merging with us? Must they join the SDC and Midway Chapter? What about clubs monies? Merge bank accounts? How much power would we allot them as new members? This could get sticky.

Does anyone have some real world answers for me? We will be talking about this subject at our chapter meeting this weekend.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Our future is showing!
    Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
    OK, here's the deal. The Wichita area Packard, Hudson, and Studebaker chapters have been friendly for 15 years or so - planning and enjoying events for all 3 clubs. However, the Packard club believes that they are dying. They want to join OUR club. While we enjoy these folks immensely (we even share 3 couples in both clubs), what will be the ramifications for truly merging with us? Must they join the SDC and Midway Chapter? What about clubs monies? Merge bank accounts? How much power would we allot them as new members? This could get sticky.

Does anyone have some real world answers for me? We will be talking about this subject at our chapter meeting this weekend.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

Some of us in our local chapter have discussed it figuring it would happen in the future in our area..
      We are expecting it.
      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

You know what happened the last time Studebaker and Packard merged ,,, Just kidding..
        Love my Lark

Comment

That COULD be a bit awkward, but I think it could work.

The way I personally see it is this; since they own and care about Packards, (all years including Detroit Packards) they are eligible to join the SDC, actually EVEN if they do not.

"Studebaker Related Vehicles": Packards, post Stude. Avantis, Rocknes, Erskines, EMF's, Flanders, and certain years of Pierce Arrows are allowed to participate and be displayed or Judged in Zone Meets, International Meets, Car Shows and certainly YOUR Events etc.

So First they must join the International SDC Organization, then they would have to swallow their Pride and give up the "Packard" Name and not try to be involved in running your local SDC Chapter or re-naming it, but they could JOIN and hold offices when an Election comes up.

They would still be free of course to belong to the International Packard Club, but would have to belong to BOTH International Clubs if that is their choice.

Whether I have seen that process correctly or not, a Zone Coordinator or Director could help you make sure you follow the "Rules" and do it correctly.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 01-12-2017, 08:45 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Disband the packard club, have them join an "inclusive" local Studebaker club that welcomes independent owners that don't have a local club. Owning a stude is not a membership requirement.
            54 Champion coupe
            48 Champion Convert

Comment

There will be a point in time where each area starts an Orphan Car Club. Some sooner than others. Be open, accepting. make the best of it and have fun.

Comment

My goodness. Why is anyone limited to membership in just one car club? SDC Membership is open to anyone, Right? They don't HAVE to own or to drive a Studebaker to become SDC members, Right?
                If you get along socially, invite them to join the SDC Club (paying SDC membership dues), get together, and accept that your friends may be driving a different make on any day, and have a good time. The cars gathered out in the parking lot really won't give a damn. Rather obviously anything that is NOT a Studebaker cannot be judged as a Studebaker.
                Does it really matter if they show up in their Nash, Hudson, Edsel or Borgward?

Can't help but wonder how many 'purists' actually drive ONLY Studebakers when attending their local SDC events. .... when the roads are salted and its 10 degrees out.
                Last edited by Jessie J.; 01-12-2017, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I'll be checking with Frank Van Doorn and Chuck Donkle I guess.
                  The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Hear hear! Last November we held a meet in Raleigh and our chapter (Eastern NC) invited the local Packard and Mercedes-Benz clubs as guests. I was pleasantly surprised at the willingness of the Packard folks to come, although in the end they were unable to drive their Packards to the event. Perhaps there is a "thawing" of the sometimes-chilly relationship between aficionados of the marques? I hope so. By all means a way to welcome them into your fold should be found.

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                    My goodness. Why is anyone limited to membership in just one car club? SDC Membership is open to anyone, Right? They don't HAVE to own or to drive a Studebaker to become SDC members, Right?
                    If you get along socially, invite them to join the SDC Club (paying SDC membership dues), get together, and accept that your friends may be driving a different make on any day, and have a good time. The cars gathered out in the parking lot really won't give a damn. Rather obviously anything that is NOT a Studebaker cannot be judged as a Studebaker.
                    Does it really matter if they show up in their Nash, Hudson, Edsel or Borgward?

Can't help but wonder how many 'purists' actually drive ONLY Studebakers when attending their local SDC events. .... when the roads are salted and its 10 degrees out.
                    Mike Davis
                    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

WRT money. Most SDC local chapters are, legally, not-for-profit corporations, and the other clubs may be too. If that is the case, then presumably someone has been filing simple tax returns with IRS. That creates a record that needs to be closed out. As legal entities, the assets are supposed to be liquidated and/or transferred once the "corporation" goes out of business. If you're only talking about a few hundred dollars, you could probably get away with throwing a big party or refunding it to members -- I doubt that the IRS would show up at the door. But someone should probably file one final form stating that the organization has been dissolved.

If the money is worth keeping, then the club treasurer(s) should file a return(s) with the IRS showing how the assets were transferred to the surviving not-for-profit corporation. I doubt that Big Brother really cares, but it's probably worth taking the effort to close the legal loop.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Excellent point, Skip. Thank you for that, and my first education of the morning (looked up WRT meaning).

Comment

Why not keep it simple and let the packard club stay the packard club and just have joint meetings and do club activates together.

Comment

Why not keep it simple and let the packard club stay the packard club and just have joint meetings and do club activates together.
                            (A) Because they asked nicely...

(B) Because I can think of several scenarios in which that will NOT work...

Comment

Ok just a thought. The biggest problem you would run into on my idea that I can see is you always run into a couple people that always want to be large and in charge. That can ruin things in a hurry.

Comment

Working...
                              X