Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious - have there ever been any Studebaker rail dragsters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious - have there ever been any Studebaker rail dragsters?

One of my other passions is vintage drag racing and I'm in the process of constructing an early 60's style slingshot dragster (with Brand X power.) It got me to thinking and searching the internet to see if there have ever been any Studebaker V8 powered rails. I haven't found any photos at this point. Does anyone recall seeing (or owning?) one? I know one of the things they have against them right off the bat is weight, but it would be cool to know and if possible what the low ET is for a Stude at the dragstrip.

Here's my project, for those curious. I actually zeroed in on wanting a Studebaker wagon to use as a tow vehicle for this, so that's one reason I bought mine.
    I'm too far in now, and too broke to switch gears and build a Stude engine, but who knows in the future. A nice 4-71 blown 289 might be fun just to see if you can chase your own record.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rocinante-021ps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1753359
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

i saw one at a drag strip in iowa in the mid to late 50s. i don't remember much about it. it may have been mid engine. it ran about 120 mph
    mervyn mundorf
    63 avanti r2 4speed
    83 avanti 20th ann
    64 gt hawk r1 4speed
    and others

Comment

There have been a couple of strong Stude door-slammers run high nines, but a blown alcohol digger should easily be into the eights. So yes, if you built a Stude V8 rail job, you'd be chasing the quickest Stude record.

You sort-of answered your own question as to why they've been rare. The Studebaker V8 is the heaviest of the post-WWII OHV8s in terms of pounds-per-cubic inch. Then, the intake ports are flow limited.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Jack, weren't there a couple of Packard V8 powered dragsters in the late '50s?
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Name:	Almquist-1.jpg
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	1711970Click image for larger version

Name:	12360144_1499674440337955_3742481055784478527_n.jpg
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	1711971
          Dean Seavers
          Sacramento, CA

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
            Jack, weren't there a couple of Packard V8 powered dragsters in the late '50s?

Ansen's GMC blown Packard V8 digger was the first ever to top 150 MPH.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by voxnut View Post
              One of my other passions is vintage drag racing and I'm in the process of constructing an early 60's style slingshot dragster (with Brand X power.) It got me to thinking and searching the internet to see if there have ever been any Studebaker V8 powered rails. I haven't found any photos at this point. Does anyone recall seeing (or owning?) one? I know one of the things they have against them right off the bat is weight, but it would be cool to know and if possible what the low ET is for a Stude at the dragstrip.

Here's my project, for those curious. I actually zeroed in on wanting a Studebaker wagon to use as a tow vehicle for this, so that's one reason I bought mine.
              I'm too far in now, and too broke to switch gears and build a Stude engine, but who knows in the future. A nice 4-71 blown 289 might be fun just to see if you can chase your own record.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61229[/ATTACH]

Real nice looking rail!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                Real nice looking rail!
                Thanks! Have been doing my best to build it to have "the look" but still certify so I can run it at my local NHRA strip. It's certed to run as quick as a 7.50 second ET I'm figuring it'll run mid to low 9's to start. Can do that and not break parts. In keeping with the period, I'm running a 327 with a 1966 Hilborn injector setup.
                Dean Seavers
                Sacramento, CA

Comment

May 1957 Hot Rod magazine.
                  Page 34.
                  Mid engine out of Portland Oregon.
                  Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Ther have been and as far as I know one still exists in the inventory of the famous John Myer.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Pics of the rear engine car. I'll look for more cars tomorrow.

Name:	Stu.drag.1.jpg
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1711974Click image for larger version

Name:	Stu.drag.2.jpg
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	1711975
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

sure looks like the car i saw in iowa
                        mervyn mundorf
                        63 avanti r2 4speed
                        83 avanti 20th ann
                        64 gt hawk r1 4speed
                        and others

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                          Pics of the rear engine car. I'll look for more cars tomorrow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61235[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]61236[/ATTACH]
                          There seemed to be several engine builders around the Portland area that were really into Studebaker V-8 engines. Bill Bonebrake, Dan Kilcup, Riley Pratt and others. Someone told me that Bonebrake had a buddy that worked at the Studebaker Portland Zone Office, and they were able to get a good supply of engines that had been replaced on warranty issues.

Comment

Very cool! Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to the thread. I'm always interested in learning more.
                            Dean Seavers
                            Sacramento, CA

Comment

The one I mentioned was built by Bill Bonebrake and Earl Rowland.
                              Engine was square bore 3 3/4 x 3 3/4 and Hilborn injected.
                              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Working...
                              X