Extra loud flasher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Extra loud flasher

I know this has been asked before but can't find the thread. Who makes the extra loud flasher unit I've had two different ones in my GT and I still can't hear it.
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

And while we're at it how about brighter lights for turn single indicators. I find myself getting out and checking all the time because I can barely see the indicator lights. Is there an LED that just plugs into the same socket? Seems to me that I've seen that here some time ago.
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

I tried one of these flashers because it worked with LED lamps. I didn't know it had a beeper in it when I bought it, it worked fine but I replaced it because it was ungodly loud. My car is pretty quiet inside. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turn-Signal-...YAAOSwofxUfzAU

I use these LED's in my dash indicator lights, they're a lot brighter than the incadescents that were in there. http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-BA9S-Whit...item33958e6b1e

Comment

Ben, I'd assume the LED brightness is not adjustable via the light switch?
        Mike Davis
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

This company has just about anything you need, except I don't think they have a flasher with a beeper.

Shop our wide selection of LED replacement bulbs for cars, trucks, and SUVs! Browse headlights, tail lights, brake lights, turn signal lights, and more!

LEDs are very voltage sensitive. Some automotive LED replacement bulbs have a little voltage regulator built in, and will work over a wide range of voltages. Others have resistors built in to drop the voltage, and can be dimmed - mine are like that because I built them myself. But a very small change in voltage causes a big change in brightness, and they might not even come on if you drop the voltage very much. I think the ones sold by Superbright are most likely not dimmable - you should call and ask one of their tech people.
          Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
          See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Loud Flashers should only be a bit louder Clicking sound, no beep. They should be at your Parts Store.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I thought Stude drivers were like Buick drivers......driving 20 mph slower than everyone else in the fast lane with their left turn signal perpetually on??
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Loud Flashers should only be a bit louder Clicking sound, no beep. They should be at your Parts Store.
                That's the kind I bought at FLAPS. Their extra noise, plus the extra visibility from Mountain Dew bottle turn signal indicator lenses, and I seldom drive either of the GTs down the road with turn signal inadvertently left on.

Comment

I replaced the turn indicator bulbs with LEDs, amazing difference in brightness!!! I also replaced the flasher with an electronic type that has a fairly loud click, not annoying but audible. I would think that a flasher with a beeper could be wrapped with some sound dampening material to attenuate the sound level.

Comment

LEDs are generally dimmed by varying the duty cycle - the ratio of on time to off time.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I have been tweeking things on my GT. I have the He problems with dim pilot lights and the broken cancel lever plus the the handle for the signal handle was loose and floppy so it was hard to tell if signal was off or on. I bought and installed new cancel lever works good now.
                      Hawkowner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                        Ben, I'd assume the LED brightness is not adjustable via the light switch?
                        True,it's not. The GT has a two position toggle switch to dim the dash lights, but with the LED's they're the same brilliance in either position. I could make the dimmer work with a slight mod of the switch, but it's what I'd call perfect anyway. The electronic flasher I ended up using makes no noise at all. The one I linked is for a motorcycle, I guess that's why it has an annoying beeper (none of my bikes have ever beeped). I have a mechanical flasher in my station wagon that plays "Love Me Tender" when it flashes, but the wagon is too noisy to hear it and it won't work in the GT. The only reason I went to the electronic flasher is because I changed all the bulbs in the car to LED's and the turn signals don't draw enough power to operate most mechanical flashers (I did find one that works eletro magnetically with mechanical switching that would). If you only change the signal indicators to LED's it won't affect the flasher, and either mechanical or electronic will work.

Comment

Working...
                        X