Opinions requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions requested

I'm considering throwing an offer out on this car. It's about 4 1/2 hours away, so up and back the same day for an inspection wouldn't be a problem. If the rust is no worse than advertised, what does anyone think a fair offer would be?

Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

More project than I have the talent/pocket book for.....price looks fair.
    Originally posted by bumpkinvilledano View Post
    I'm considering throwing an offer out on this car. It's about 4 1/2 hours away, so up and back the same day for an inspection wouldn't be a problem. If the rust is no worse than advertised, what does anyone think a fair offer would be?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162348766259?rmvSB=true
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

Looks pretty cheap already . . . . eh ?

Comment

I am not an expert by any means but in my opinion as you asked for a total quality restoration would result in more spent than the finished car is worth.
        Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
        Fort Worth, TX

Comment

You can get a lot of enjoyment out of owning and driving a car without spending for a "total quality restoration."

Comment

I would make the car safely drivable and just enjoy for now. The asking price does seem fair.

Comment

Looking at the drivers seat I would guess 148,000 miles rather then 48,000.
              Then the question why was the car placed in the barn; owner died or did a major part fail.
              The car is a stripped model; it might have power steering; there is something black under the upper radiator hoes. Other then that it has the less expensive radio and the tach. The fan belt is missing from the alternator Why?
              Then the question is what do you expect the car to end up as. A driver, show car and how much of the needed work are you able to do.
              If ??? you can do all the work yourself and your labor is free you might be able to recover your costs when it comes time to sell.
              I would check under the car for rust and see if the engine will turn over to give you an idea if the car is even worth saving.
              Ron

Comment

If you are going to do it to make money forget it if its for enjoyment do it it will cost more and take longer than you plan, but the enjoyment and satisfaction are worth it. Hawks are the best investment in the Studebaker world. Another part of this is you need the approval of your wife to make work if s is not happy neither will you. Good luck

Comment

I guess I would be considered a talented amateur; decent mechanic, trained welder, been slinging paint for 40+ years(sometimes even for money). My major part that I don't do would be upholstery. I would NOT be looking for a trailer queen, but a decent driver. I already expect that the drivetrain would need to be gone thru (figure $1000-1500), paint and body about $1000-1500 doing all work myself, upholstery probably $1000. If I spend $3K on the car, now I'm at around $7K, not counting my labor(I'm gonna guess about 200-300 hours)

I guess being as this isn't a "gotta have it" car, would it be worth that investment, or wait for a better one to come along? I'm just getting into Studebakers and see prices all over the map. I'm not sure where this one would fall, value wise, if it was rebuilt, not restored to a 100 point show car.
                  Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
                    If you are going to do it to make money forget it if its for enjoyment do it it will cost more and take longer than you plan, but the enjoyment and satisfaction are worth it. Hawks are the best investment in the Studebaker world. Another part of this is you need the approval of your wife to make work if s is not happy neither will you. Good luck
                    I learned 30+ years ago that if you make $.10 per hour for the labor on a non "collectible car", IE 68 Charger, 71 'Cuda, etc, you are doing good.

As for "happy wife, happy life", that problem went away, along with a house, many years ago.

Comment

I would try and find another $3000 and get a nice driver for 10k

You can do what you want but I was in the same position as you 4 years ago. I bought a running (not a driver) Champ for $2000. $4000 later I have a non-painted driver but I don't trust it to stray very far until I rebuild the 289 that I put in it.

To finish the truck, paint and motor rebuild, would bring me to that $10,000 mark. I'm having trouble spending money on it cause it's past what it's worth.

This is doing (past and present) all the work myself. They don't call me money bags for a reason lol
                      Last edited by what huh; 01-08-2017, 04:49 PM.
                      Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

GT Hawks are very popular. This is a great color combination, IMHO. It would make a very nice car, finished any way you wanted.
                        I would check the engine. There's an oil pan in the trunk. Extra or left off after finding the reason it got shoved into a barn?
                        Price seems good, even if the engine is junk. Running 259/289's are available.
                        If I didn't have 3 projects going on..........might be a contender.
                        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                        1950 Champion Convertible
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Yup....I believe that!
                          Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
                          I am not an expert by any means but in my opinion as you asked for a total quality restoration would result in more spent than the finished car is worth.
                          Lou Van Anne
                          62 Champ
                          64 R2 GT Hawk
                          79 Avanti II

Comment

I think it IS a decent looking '63 GT Hawk, worth very close to the Buy it Now, BUT!

The "No Title" thing is a really BIG downer, worse in some States for sure.
                            I know nothing about Georgia, but I don't think we heard much good here about their Motor Vehicle Dept. and "Car Owner friendly" Service there.

I think the Seller needs to understand, when you buy one on a Bill of Sale, (at the very least get one, with a Sale Price, Seller & Buyer Name, Date, Serial Number and Last License Number) YOU take ALL the risk, it could be Totalled, Salvage not registerable, or stolen. And of course it WILL affect the Price People will pay.

Usually you have to attempt to register it before you know it's history, but some States may have a computer search available by Police or DMV before you Buy, Pay and Pay to Register it.

OH! By the way, looking at that BRAKE Pedal plus what could be worn out REPLACEMENT Seat Covers, 2nd. Set, it's every bit of 148,000 Miles!
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 01-08-2017, 06:13 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

At his buy it now price it seems high to me. The front fenders appear to be replaced, rust out in both the left fenders and right rocker, and he said the trunk too, who knows how bad it really is or where else it is. Then it doesn't run and he has no idea what might be wrong with it. Having done this I'd say you need to double your repair cost estimates, it's not a Chevy. I know some "special" GT's are sold for big money but most nice drivers out here in CA. don't sell for what the average '65 Mustang does. I think if it's a car you want, labor of love type of thing, and can do all the work yourself, you might be able to make a decent driver of it and still keep costs down to what it should be worth when done if you can get it for a price closer to 1/2 what he wants. Doing all the work yourself I'd bet you'll be putting closer to $7 grand into it, to be a decent driver. Probably more time too, but you might work a lot faster than me.

It does look like it could be a good starting point though, but I'd check it out good and try to get it as cheap as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X