PDA

View Full Version : Body: 63 Lark Trunk Springs

GeneC
01-08-2017, 09:37 AM
I need to re-install the trunk springs in my 63 Lark. Reviewing the shop manual shows a special tool for doing this job, is this tool availble anywhere, or do I need to make one? Any other tips or tricks for getting this done properly?

Thanks!

Studebakercenteroforegon
01-08-2017, 05:28 PM
Have someone hold the trunk lid up. Then you can lay in the trunk, and grab on to the torsion rods and place them where they need to be. They are not that hard to overcome - you will not get hurt by them.

StudeNewby
01-08-2017, 07:51 PM
Gene, just a guess here, but that tool you mentioned sounds similar to a brake spring tool, only larger. Might one of those do the trick?

Studebakercenteroforegon
01-08-2017, 07:57 PM
These are torsion rods, not coiled extension springs, so nothing like a brake spring tool will help.

StudeNorm
01-09-2017, 11:34 AM
In order to adjust the torsion bars on my '63 Lark I used a large pipe wrench and got the rod end positioned along the jaws, not perpendicular to them. In other words I used the wrench as a lever. I wasn't overly concerned about the teeth leaving marks (a heavy wrap of tape would help) and I got the job done fairly easily. Actually too easily. I should have stopped with adjusting one rod but I did both and now the trunk opens with authority... I sold the car 2 days later.

GeneC
01-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Thanks All! Now, once I got the furnace in the shop fixed it will be warm enough to get back to work on it!

Gene