Straight Axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Straight Axle

In case someone would need to know. 59-60 Lark drums and backing plates will work on a 1950 1/2 ton pickup axle. The drum work with no changes. You do need to shorten the spindle and drill a new hole for carter key. The backing plates has two holes in them that line up. You can drill the rest of the holes from the back of the spindles. Use the spindle for a drill bushing. You have to cut axle to width for your needs. Hope this will help some one. I still have do something on the brake lines. will post when I work that out.
    Last edited by cowboy204; 01-07-2017, 08:43 AM. Reason: add

Very interesting, but a few more details might be of benefit:

For those who might consider it, did you use Lark front or rear brakes? 6-cyl or V8 brakes? On the front or rear pickup axle?

Are '59-60 Lark brakes fundamentally different from other '54-66 car brakes?

What benefits accrue from changing the pickup brakes to car brakes?

Why would it be necessary to cut axle to width?

Where are you going with this build?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

This reminds me of an article I read years ago stating that later Studebaker car brakes could be used on cars back to 37 or so. I never considered trying any on a truck because there were easier ways to get better brakes. I guess if you already had the pieces and wanted to go to a 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern it would be worth fitting it up for a look. I would like more details and maybe some pictures.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I used the front brakes assy. The axle is out of a 1950 1/2 ton Studebaker pickup. Don't know if the Lark brakes are different or not. I had them off the car I'm building. I use them to save some money and get the smaller bolt pattern. The axle was to wide for the Lark so I cut 3'' out of the middle of it. I'm building a old school gasser /street rod. I'll Have to get some pictures of the brake work I've done. The brakes came a 6 cyl car I think.
        Last edited by cowboy204; 01-08-2017, 07:37 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Well THAT explains some of the reasons, you are not Building a Truck, the project is a Gasser '60 Lark!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Cowboy, looking forward to pictures of your project! (I like gassers )
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Thanks Cowboy! We have been considering a Gasser Lark, and that is good information to squirrel away for the planning stages.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing pics of the project!
              Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
              1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

straight axle

Originally posted by cowboy204 View Post
                In case someone would need to know. 59-60 Lark drums and backing plates will work on a 1950 1/2 ton pickup axle. The drum work with no changes. You do need to shorten the spindle and drill a new hole for carter key. The backing plates has two holes in them that line up. You can drill the rest of the holes from the back of the spindles. Use the spindle for a drill bushing. You have to cut axle to width for your needs. Hope this will help some one. I still have do something on the brake lines. will post when I work that out.
                Looking at trying the v-8 brakes looks like they may clear the spindle better. Know more later. As soon as one of the girls will post pics I'll get some up.

Comment

The axle was to wide for the Lark so I cut 3'' out of the middle of it.
                  Makes me wonder. The straight axle found under the 59-64 'Champ' T-cab pickups is a perfect fit under the Lark sourced sheet metal.
                  Was the front axle used in the old R-series pickups 3 inches wider? Sold off my T-cab and presently only have a '48 M-5 so nothing else on hand to take measurements from.

I have a '62 Lark that I've seriously been considering giving the straight axle gasser treatment. Got a big old Weiand dual-quad equipped 390 inch Caddy to give it some oomph.
                  Last edited by Jessie J.; 01-09-2017, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                    Makes me wonder. The straight axle found under the 59-64 'Champ' T-cab pickups is a perfect fit under the Lark sourced sheet metal.
                    Was the front axle used in the old R-series pickups 3 inches wider? Sold off my T-cab and presently only have a '48 M-5 so nothing else on hand to take measurements from.

I have a '62 Lark that I've seriously been considering giving the straight axle gasser treatment. Got a big old Weiand dual-quad equipped 390 inch Caddy to give it some oomph.
                    If I remember right the lark is 47'' c to c on the ball joints. The straight axle is 55'' c to c on king pins. I used the 15x4 wheels so 3'' work for me. I could have spent alot of money to build a gasser. But I wanted to go old school and build like they did in the 60's.I don't know what model the axle came out of. The Champ should work. I'm not the on working computers. But sent a text number to cowboy204@hotmail.com and I'll send pics of what I've done so far.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy204 View Post
                      If I remember right the lark is 47'' c to c on the ball joints. The straight axle is 55'' c to c on king pins. I used the 15x4 wheels so 3'' work for me. I could have spent alot of money to build a gasser. But I wanted to go old school and build like they did in the 60's.I don't know what model the axle came out of. The Champ should work. I'm not the on working computers. But sent a text number to cowboy204@hotmail.com and I'll send pics of what I've done so far.
                      I looked at the V-8 backing plates today can't say they will give the brake line any more room to not hit. But I found fittings on jegs.com that work,I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X