flightomatic mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: flightomatic mounts

Is there supposed to be a mount at rear of trans where there is a block extending about 7" wide and has two bolt holes?
    thanks

Not normally, what year, model? Most Studebakers use mounts attached to the bell housing and no rear trans mount for either standard or automatic transmissions, letting it "wiggle around" hanging off the bell housing. They are found in the "engine" section of the parts manual as "rear isolators". The flighomatic was shared with other brands that did use the rear mount boss, but not Studebaker-at least not in cars to my knowledge.

Comment

Here is a photo of a typical installation in a Studebaker. This happens to be a '59, but as stated above other manufacturers used this transmission and mounted it differently. (3 point mount as opposed to the Stude 4 point mount.)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Flighto.mount.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1711898
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Again, what year are we talking? The '65 and '66 cars had a different transmission mounting arrangement than earlier cars.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Right!...Ford used that extension housing rear mount location....Studebaker never did.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            Right!...Ford used that extension housing rear mount location....Studebaker never did.
            Don't think that is correct Ed. Please see picture from '65-'66 Studebaker Shop Manual below. That is why knowing the year and model is important when answering a question, as karterfred88 (and others ) mention in previous posts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04151 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	1711901
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
              Don't think that is correct Ed. Please see picture from '65-'66 Studebaker Shop Manual below. That is why knowing the year and model is important when answering a question, as karterfred88 (and others ) mention in previous posts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61140[/ATTACH]
              Whoops!....good point Paul!...I didn't consider the 'Chevy in a Lark' application!

Comment

Working...
              X