Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardtop Window Winder Removal

Hi,

Has anyone made a video of how to remove the window winding handle of 53 - 58 hardtop cars?

Alternatively, maybe someone has written up a step-by-step of the process - probably me hoping that either one might have been done.

I've got the window tool from Stude Int'l, but can't see / understand how it's possible to either see of snag the circlip without destroying the bung that protects the door panels.

Thanks for any suggestions of help.
    Richard
    sigpic

I don't know about yours, but all of the 53-54K's I have owned, have a Phillips head screw in the center of the of the winder. Remove it and the handle just falls off.

Comment

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Many, many, vehicles of many makes use the same clips to hold the handles on. You just slip the clip removal tool between the escutcheon and the window crank or door handle and push it to remove the clip. The clip slides in the same direction the handle points, but can be installed either facing toward or away from the handle. They're usually installed toward the handle so you would slide the tool in from under the handle part of the crank.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6283.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1711902Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6284.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1711903

Comment

The opening of the clip should be facing downward so slip the tool in from the bottom. Make sure the plastic escutheon is between the tool and the trim panel, therefore the outside edge of the tool rides along the inside edge of the handle.

Comment

I like to use the right tool, but I have used a piece of mechanic's wire with a small hook on the end.
            I've also seen guys use a shop rag, pulled tight, then slipped behind the handle and drag to the side and snag the clip.

Comment

Packard352, from your moniker I'm judging that you probably have a 1956 Golden Hawk, am I correct? If so you have the clips, because the Phillips screw type was only used from 1953-55, and they were the only type used during these years. Subsequently all Studebakers used the clip type, without exception. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the splines are often seized on the regulator shaft. The corrosion of the pot metal handle can require penetrant application and some judicious prying. Be patient and if the door panel is something that you will be saving use some thin plastic under your pry tool. Good luck!

Comment

I had a handle on my '61 Hawk that sombody super glued in place! That was fun to remove.- Jim

Comment

If you can push the door panel inward near the handle, use a flashlight to see what you're doing.....if you had 3 hands it'd be a cinch. Seriously sometimes they pop right off, other times they are a real pain...oh yeah, when it comes off it usually goes flying somewhere!

Comment

Hi Hallabutt, yep... it's a 56J and all very good too.

However, as the rear passenger window isn't used much and I'd like to do a bit of fettling with the window for some minor adjustments - hopefully, make it work / wind just that little biut better, I have only had a small chanvce to have "a look."

Just really have to wait for spring to roll up in the UK and have a proper "Go" at it!

Thanks for all for knowledge, experience and words of encouragement, which I've saved to a word doc that I'll use later!
                    Richard
                    sigpic

Comment

On the SDC Home page, select 'Tech Tips' and scroll down to 'Installing Rear Quarter Windows'......
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                        Packard352, from your moniker I'm judging that you probably have a 1956 Golden Hawk, am I correct? If so you have the clips, because the Phillips screw type was only used from 1953-55, and they were the only type used during these years. Subsequently all Studebakers used the clip type, without exception.
                        C-cab truck door and window cranks were held on by a Phillips screw right to the end of production in December, 1963.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                          /Cut/ the Phillips screw type was only used from 1953-55, and they were the only type used during these years. Subsequently all Studebakers used the clip type, without exception.
                          Hey Bill, you are correct for MOST '56 to '66 Stude Cars, but as Craig said not "C" Cab Trucks.

But because my Son Dave is the owner of a '57 Champion CUSTOM 2 Door Sedan, and a '57 Commander Custom 4 Door Sedan, I learned something few SDCr's most of which, own Higher Trim Level Cars know.

After looking it up in the Chassis Parts Catalog to verify that Dave's Car was not modified, I discovered that the '56 and '57 low Line "Custom" Model 2 Door and 4 Doors actually do have the 1955 pointed Knob, SCREWED ON type Window and Door handles, which also means they had the Old '55 and earlier Window Regulators with the square shank shaft instead of the Newer splined type!

Studebaker was obviously using up a tremendous overstock of 1955 Only Handles and Regulators having over estimated the Bad year 1955 Sales, partially due to BOTH a Steel worker Union strike and a Studebaker Factory strike.

So as I am beginning to learn, ... NEVER say Never or always!
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 02-03-2017, 02:06 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                          X