Interior almost complete in our 56J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior almost complete in our 56J

Car is a week from completion. Unfortunately weather sucks !!!!! Regardless we are very pleased with all areas of the car......just took too darn long to finish !!!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	009t.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1753321Click image for larger version

Name:	0008t.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1753324Click image for larger version

Name:	010t.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1753323
    Attached Files

Mike very nice. I like it a lot. Great work.

Comment

WHAT did those SEATS come out of?! WOW!

Comment

holy smokes...verrrrry nice work! love the stitching on the dashboard...first rate. typically I'm not one to gravitate to 'billet' style steering wheels but in this car it is sweet indeed. cheers, junior
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
          holy smokes...verrrrry nice work! love the stitching on the dashboard...first rate. typically I'm not one to gravitate to 'billet' style steering wheels but in this car it is sweet indeed. cheers, junior
          My thoughts too. I generally like my Studebakers a bit closer to stock, but that is a very nice interior. Well done.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Hey Mike,
            Why doesn't mine look like that. Great job!
            Steve
            Never raise your hands to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected.- Red Buttons

'63 Avanti R2
            '14 Boxster
            '64 GT Hawk R1 JT
            '37 Dictator Coupe
            '37 Dictator Coupe "slight custom"

Comment

Very tasteful interior work. Kudos!
              Mike Davis
              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. I truly had little to do with it other than choice of main and complimentary leathers. John Miller, owner of Sullivan Upholstery, designed and built it.

Front seats came out of a 2005 GTO. Back seats were built on 3/4 plywood bases with foam hand sculpted to match the front seats. The front GTO seat bolsters were tamed down considerably.... and a 2 inch piece of foam 10 inches wide was deftly incorporated on top 1/3 of front and back seats....... replacing the head rests. He made everything flow so very well.

Hats off to JM !!!!
                Last edited by mike super; 01-04-2017, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Here is the car with GTO seats and overpowering head rests prior to being sent to upholstery. Click image for larger version

Name:	020a.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	1711872

Comment

Generally, I'm never impressed with "custom" interiors as they are almost always way over done and never really meld to the character of the vehicle. This is one exception to the rule. It's very classy and appears to belong with the overall package. Bravo!

Comment

I'm glad you "tamed" the head rests. There are few things that look out of place as much as a tall head rest in an old car. Your upholsterer is an artist.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Ditto..."custom" often means "ostentatious" and "tacky." Not here, though. A tip of the hat to you and Mr. Miller!

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                        I'm glad you "tamed" the head rests. There are few things that look out of place as much as a tall head rest in an old car. Your upholsterer is an artist.
                        Mike Davis
                        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Really beautiful car!! Fantastic colors and interior. As to time to restore, my 56J took ten years, did it stock, but if I had the nerve, I would have hoped to build one as fine as this .

Comment

Car is going to Indiana Nationals this year. Have a second one half completed. Will be same color exterior and interior....one will be sold...... the other we keep.
                            Last edited by mike super; 01-05-2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Mike, that car looks Super

Comment

Working...
                              X