50 Champion Starlight front grill trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 50 Champion Starlight front grill trim

We pulled the front grills out of Dad's car this weekend. The trim piece is made from the same shape channel as the upper fin trim on the "finned" Hawks. Dad's car had a couple of the little sliding studs at the top of the trim piece but screw holes through the bottom. I am guessing the screw holes are a "modification" made by a previous owner. Can someone confirm that these pieces were supposed to be held on by the little studs and that the screw holes are not supposed to be there?

Another question on color. I know on a Champion the grills were supposed to be painted silver instead of being chrome. There were a couple oblong holes above the grills that had a trim piece in them. Are the trim pieces in the oblong holes supposed to be the same silver color as the grills? Are the grills supposed to be a bright metallic looking silver or a duller grayish silver? Anyone know the paint code for the correct silver color?

Thanks
    Last edited by wdills; 01-04-2017, 10:13 AM.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

First, the grill surrounds were only held on by threaded studs, no visible screws.
    My understanding of the grills is that the very front edge was chromed and the rest was painted a dull silver. I have used Krylon, Dull Aluminum and it seems to be about right.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I've been lucky enough to find several 50's with original paint.

The grilles themselves are painted body color, with the front edge left silver or chrome about .050" from the front.

All of the other parts that are not chromed are painted body color. The silver paint adjacent to the chrome did not appear until 52 or 53.
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 01-03-2017, 02:44 PM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
        Are the trim pieces in the oblong holes supposed to be the same silver color as the grills?
        Referring to the thin trim under the "eyebrows", it was body color.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Ok, just to be clear, I understand this piece is body color.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill Mesh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1711850

This piece is body color

Name:	Grill Surround.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1711851

This piece is body color

Name:	Trim for Oblong Hole.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1711852

This piece is silver

Name:	Grill Trim.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1711853

Please confirm.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

No, the last piece shown is body color.

Now I'm confused about the top egg crate piece. Every one I've ever seen has been a dull silver color with the front edge chrome or also silver. I'm going to have to dig out a pair I bought years ago on ebay that are supposed to be NOS and check them.

Comment

NOS part may be all silver with the front edge chrome because the body color was an unknown, just like buying a NOS body part in primer.
              I have had some grills with body color, but I thought that was from a poor repaint. Stripping the part shows the dull silver that, I assume, would be the remains of the chrome plating process done on the front edge. This poor finish is probably why Studebaker painted the parts body color.

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              No, the last piece shown is body color.

Now I'm confused about the top egg crate piece. Every one I've ever seen has been a dull silver color with the front edge chrome or also silver. I'm going to have to dig out a pair I bought years ago on ebay that are supposed to be NOS and check them.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

50 cars, depending on body number, either had chrome on the front of the egg crate grills and body color painted headlight rims OR OR they had silver on the front of the egg crates and chrome headlight rims Please check the chassis manual for the body number cut off
                Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
                X