Grill Finish 62 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Grill Finish 62 GT

What was the finish on the mesh in the grill of my 62 GT souls it be crone or cadmium coated matte or shiny?
    Thanks
    Hawkowner

The 62 grill is shiny when new. The finish is chrome, but not quite as shiny as the rest of the grill shell. My 62 GT has a very good original grill and that is what the mesh looks like. Bud

Comment

Thanks for reply mine is rather drab.

Comment

My 62 GT mesh is stamped steel and probably originally chdrome plated. The finish gets dull with time. Mine is the same way.
        Bill L.
        1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Most of them are just sand blasted from Road Rash, Oh, and being 54 Years Old! No longer high gloss Chrome.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My '62 has a '64 grill insert in it, I got it that way but also like it better. Anyway, it's stamped sheet and chromed too, but it's shinier than any '62 grill insert I've ever seen, but the same as the '63-'64s I've seen that were in decent shape. I figure the '62 never was a bright shiny insert like the later one. They seem to be more of a matte or "industrial" chrome finish.

Comment

I have been using a plastic scuff pad and is bringing the luster back.
              Hawkowner

Comment

A couple of years ago I found an NOS grille insert for my '63. I compared it to the one on my car (believed to be original) and there wasn't that much difference in finish. The plating is very thick on both, but it doesn't look like they did much pre-plate polishing to get a high luster.

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                  A couple of years ago I found an NOS grille insert for my '63. I compared it to the one on my car (believed to be original) and there wasn't that much difference in finish. The plating is very thick on both, but it doesn't look like they did much pre-plate polishing to get a high luster.
                  I have a NOS '63 grill still in the factory box too, and you are correct. It's very shiny, and not much different than the old '64 one on my car. The NOS '61 Lark grill I have isn't as shiny.

Comment

Working...
                  X