dual master cylinder for 1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: dual master cylinder for 1950 Champion

Does anyone know of a dual master cylinder for a 1950 Champion? I would like to improve the braking ability and safety of my car. With the master being under the floor board I don't know how to add a standard firewall mount unit. Has anyone simply added a second unit to the side of the existing unit and split them that way, one MC for the front and one for the rears? I have seen industrial applications that way but not street applications. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Jim Turner can help, He's here on the forum.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

A dual master cylinder is a good idea from a safety standpoint, but it will NOT "...improve the braking ability...".
      As stated, contact Jim Turner.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I too have a '50 Champion that I recently acquired. Am currently replacing the entire braking system from master cylinder to shoes. At least one drum (rear) has been replaced.

I've fretted about the safety of the single cylinder MC. I would think that the only option would be to source a unit that would fit in the same location under the floorboards. Firewall mounting would entail a very problematic and costly endeavor i'm guessing.

in lieu of this modification, make sure your hand brake [ie] emergency brake, is 100%. I've replaced all of this too, including the levers at the shoes.

I'd be interested in what you come up with. Am slowly sorting out my vehicle and would be interested in swapping information. Lots of questions here.
        1950 Champion
        1962 MGA

Comment

I nearly lost my newly restored '50 truck in '07 due to a leaky wheel cyl in the back and the single pot M/C. I've got a Turner Brake setup now.

Comment

Ditto with my 64 Champ. It's parked now until I can upgrade to a dual MC.

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
            I nearly lost my newly restored '50 truck in '07 due to a leaky wheel cyl in the back and the single pot M/C. I've got a Turner Brake setup now.
            Mike Davis
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
            X