Dual Quads on Studebaker V 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Dual Quads on Studebaker V 8

Apoligies to the Forum for being not active for a while. Would appreciate all info from the Forum,on What Cadillac year engine and what cubic inch,was supposed to come with dual quads that was able to fit with minimal machining and fitment / adjustment onto a Studebaker V8? Hope all had a merry Christmas. And to ALL Veteran's, Thank You for Serving!! Mike..

Nice to hear from you..and HAPPY NEW YEAR back at 'ya! .....Various high end '55-'60 Cadillac (Eldorado) models used dual quad and three two-barrel intakes that can be adapted to the Studebaker V8, as the designs of the early Caddy and Stude engines were quite similar.

However, not only are those Caddy cast iron manifolds very HEAVY, they are also VERY TALL!

Comment

SN-60,Thanks for the reply...and will "Stay Tuned"...

Comment

A 331 cid Caddy intake can be cobbled up to bolt on.
        But it is less than a good fit...port match wise.
        You'd have to cut up the ports on both the heads and the intake to get it decent.
        BTDT
        And... They are pricey, too. I just looked at Ebay and a cast iron dual quad Caddy is listed at $999

There are other ways to go...
        You can find a re-pop dual quad L/S (Lionel Stone) intake (later re-re-popped by Dave Thibeault)... Pretty hard to find.
        (and you have to find the 'hybrid' casting that has the outer profile of the R3 port, but the port profile of the R1/R2)
        Or, you can have one made up for you...
        The height on the one below can be cut way down if hood clearance is an issue.
        Something to think about.

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 12-31-2016, 03:34 PM.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

DEEPNHOCK, thanks for info and amazing pictures with your motor, and with it installed..Also the Lionel Stone and Dave Thiebault manifold.Your engine,it is freeking Amazing!! Pretty tall install with air cleaners.What lift cam and what type of heads,and exhaust are you running on it ?? Mike..

Comment

Mike, It is not my engine, nor my car..
            It is all Ron Bomberger's deal

I just built the intake for it.
            The carb height on this intake is up a bit, but still clears the GT Hawk hood.
            The carb flange can be milled off quite a bit if height is an issue.
            Look at the Sharpie line in this pic to give you an idea..

It might 'look' tall, but it is still shorter than a Caddy dual quad intake.

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 12-31-2016, 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling error

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Once again,appreciate the info.... Mike..

Comment

Mike -

Yea, for the best fit, best running...if you really need the dual quad arrangement, see Jeff for one of his modifications.
                Any other method is a waste of time, effort and money...to do it even close to correctly anyway. Will cheaper method manifold swaps work, yes, but not very well.

Mike

Comment

Thanks..this is info that I need.. Mike..

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DuelCarburator3-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1711796Click image for larger version

Name:	DuelCarburator1-768x574.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1711797The carbs will have to be tweaked to work WELL on such a small engine. I can Reduce CFM to 370 each, which is more than enough with Two of them!
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

BUT.....

When it all comes together.....the old school 331 cadillac can't be beat....all the machine work is worth the period correct look...finding the right carbs is the icing on the cake......the big draw back is the weight of the Caddy unit versus what Jeff is turning out today....I've had mine on the road for 6-7 years now and so far everything continues to run smoothly....
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

Cool setup, Jim.
                        I didn't say it couldn't be done... Just that it was a lot of work for the money invested.
                        (Of course I am biased )

Jeff

Comment

Those early Caddy dual four manifolds can usually be found at swap meets (or even on e-bay) for VERY short money....The original matched Rochester (or even Carter) carbs, in good condition, can get expensive though!

Comment

Hi Jeff...
                            Your unit is beautiful...and you've done all the work for the right fit and a great finish. The 331 Caddy unit is heavy (really heavy) but for my truck weight wasn't the issue. I wanted everything to be pre '63. (I almost made it, but cheated on the disc brakes and cut it close on the American Racing Wheels.
                            sigpic

Comment

Just as a point of clarification on Cadillac multiple carburetion:

1955 331" 2x4
                              1956 365" 2x4
                              1957 365" 3x2
                              1958 365" 3x2
                              1959 390" 3x2
                              1960 390" 3x2

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X