Replacement floor pan quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Replacement floor pan quality?

My 64 hawk is in need of some floor repair from the front seat forward on both sides. Driver side is the worst, but i wanted to get some tips first from those who have done this before about what companies are better as far as fit and overall quality. I have purchased a floor pan for a 50 ford sedan from C2C fabrication before and it was ok as far as quality and shape and fit for the price, but i"m sure the dennis carpenter ford pan would have looked more like the factory one. I looked around online and prices range from $65ish to $165ish for the same panel. I almost ordered the C2C fab panel for $80 but i decided to wait and ask around the forum first. Advice would be very appreciated, Thanks in advance Travis.

Originally posted by 1964hawk View Post
    My 64 hawk is in need of some floor repair from the front seat forward on both sides. Driver side is the worst, but i wanted to get some tips first from those who have done this before about what companies are better as far as fit and overall quality. I have purchased a floor pan for a 50 ford sedan from C2C fabrication before and it was ok as far as quality and shape and fit for the price, but i"m sure the dennis carpenter ford pan would have looked more like the factory one. I looked around online and prices range from $65ish to $165ish for the same panel. I almost ordered the C2C fab panel for $80 but i decided to wait and ask around the forum first. Advice would be very appreciated, Thanks in advance Travis.
    Hi Travis-
    I had ordered a number of pieces for my rusty 61 hawk from Classic Enterprises, and later, 'Hogtroughs' for my Avanti II.
    The floor of the Boot ('Deck' I believe the Yewessers say ), panel under rear Valance, and a number of other parts appeared to be of very good manufacture and were well received by my body restorer. He reported no problems during installation.
    I can recommend their products...
    Steve
    Click image for larger version

Name:	137. Boot Floor 23Nov13.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	1711770

Comment

I put Classic Enterprises front floor pans in my 1964 Wagonaire and was very pleased with them. I'll order from them again when I have a need.

Comment

Classic products are excellent...you might get by with their 'mini' pans if all that needs replacing is forward of the front seats.

Comment

Remember that anything you buy will need to be "fitted". There will be trimming involved. If the metal gauge is similar and both cover the area then you are deciding between cost and appearance.

I did my 54K floors and hog troughs from sheet metal that I cut and beaded, much like the C2C ones. Worked out great. Doesn't look like stock but it's more solid than original as I used heavier sheet metal.

For appearance, the CE ones look great and thanks to them for providing OEM looking ones.

Both should do what they promise, your money, etc.

Bob

Comment

I can probably get by with the mini front panels. I might only need one side the passenger side might not be that bad, maybe only needing patched. I need to find time to pull the seats and carpet to check the rust damage. I know from being under the car most of the rust I seen was forward of the driver seat. There might even be some rocker panel damage on the driver side too.

Comment

I'm in the process of doing metal replacement on my '64 GT. So far I've gotten the trunk floor, door edge,vent door, and rocker panels from Classic Ent. and they are a very good fit, look like factory, and Lamont is great to deal with. I have no reservations referring them for replacement products. Bill

Comment

Aside from Classic Enterprises making good products, they also give a lot of monetary support to the Studebaker Driver's Club with the many advertisements they have in our Turning Wheels magazine.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

1964hawk If you haven't pulled the carpet and seats out yet to look get ready for a surprise when you do. Most times when you get everything out it turns out a lot more than you would think.

Comment

Yeah I learned that with a 50 Ford. I pulled the rubber mat out and found the passenger floor looked like Swiss cheese. I'm preparing to find more than can see rusted with the carpet and seats in.

Comment

During the restoration of my car I bought panels from Classic Enterprises, C2C and Leroy Carey. C2C was absolute junk and I didn't even take it home. I opened the box at the office, taped it back closed and called for a return authorization from them. The best thing I can say about their product was an easy return policy and refund.

Leroy Carey had the best product but he was also the most expensive. His stuff fit nicely with very little effort on my part. His was also made from the same thickness metal as the original sheet metal.

Classic Enterprises makes good product and their later revisions of products are better than some of the earlier stuff they were making. In general their product needed more work to make it fit than did Leroy Carey's. Some of their stuff was from the correct metal thickness and some was a little thinner.
                      Wayne
                      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

I did both front floors, trunk floor and trunk lid edge usig CE panels. All fi great. later I cheaped out and bought c2c rockers. They were a poor fit and I wasn't real thrilled with them. I'd go with CE if you can afford it.

bhapner

Comment

As was stated, any pan needs some fitting and trimming. Before you start on this and while everything is still aligned properly, brace everything. I used 1" square tubing on the Lark I am doing. Many years ago when I was a teenager I patched floors in a few cars and everything moved when I was welding. Nothing would line up anymore. Granted, my welding skill and equipment has improved but nonetheless, if you brace it things stay put. I went side to side at the cowl and "B" pillar, across the door openings, and an "X" through the middle. Here is a picture. The tubes only need a light tack to stay in place. When all is done, you grind through the tack welds and remove the structure. I also leave the doors and rear fenders on so fit can be checked periodically.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by jpepper; 12-31-2016, 12:33 PM. Reason: wrong pictures
                          james r pepper

Comment

Classic Enterprises is the only way to go.Did my 58 Silver hawk,both Rt. and Lf sides from toe boards to under rear seats.You will pay a little more for these but, believe me they are well built, trim easy, and have every facet that your old floors had and then some. Inner and outer rockers are of the same high quality ,and with minimal fitment, will work well for you. Good Luck with you build, and "Keep us in the Loop".. Mike..

Comment

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
                              As was stated, any pan needs some fitting and trimming. Before you start on this and while everything is still aligned properly, brace everything. I used 1" square tubing on the Lark I am doing. Many years ago when I was a teenager I patched floors in a few cars and everything moved when I was welding. Nothing would line up anymore. Granted, my welding skill and equipment has improved but nonetheless, if you brace it things stay put. I went side to side at the cowl and "B" pillar, across the door openings, and an "X" through the middle. Here is a picture. The tubes only need a light tack to stay in place. When all is done, you grind through the tack welds and remove the structure. I also leave the doors and rear fenders on so fit can be checked periodically.
                              Real nice job on the bracing!

Comment

Working...
                              X