Packham Motors Photo 1964 Grimsby Ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packham Motors Photo 1964 Grimsby Ontario

I found this picture in the Grimsby Historical Society's archives. It was the only picture of this Studebaker dealer here in Grimsby. The back of the picture said that it was taken in 1964. One of our member's car was purchased new at this dealer. The building is still there and over the years has been various car dealers. Currently, it is an Enterprise rent a car dealer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	packhamcropped.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1753304

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
    studenews@outlook.com

Wow! That is an interesting selection of '64's.
    13 that you can see in just the one Row, and it looks like there is only One Wagon or Wagonaire and NO Hardtops or 2 Doors, Convertibles, Avantis or Hawks!

They must have been expecting to sell a LOT of the Bread and Butter best selling 4 Doors.
    I have to wonder if ANY of the huge amount of left over South Bend First Series '64's would have gone up there, for a small "Gas Station" Dealer in a Very small Town, that is a LOT of Cars.

Only 6 of 13 with White Side Wall Tires.

I think in the 1960's Canadians were the ultimate CASO's
    Six Cylinder Hawks and Daytonas and all.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-29-2016, 09:13 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That is the most impressive line up of Studebakers I have ever seen ! When I visited our local stude dealer in 64 ,there were only 4 studes on site ,all larks.
      NEIL G.

Comment

Packham Motors Photo 1964 Grimsby Ontario

Easy now Rich, we Canadians were thrifty. My dad who worked there as a foreman, ordered a '59 Lark three on the tree, no power, no power brakes, and no radio.
        I learned to drive on it. We did have a '62 GT but he made me take the Lark for my drivers test.
        Packham Motors was a very popular dealer and I remember that they used to pick up their new cars right at the factory.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Wow! That is an interesting selection of '64's.
        13 that you can see in just the one Row, and it looks like there is only One Wagon or Wagonaire and NO Hardtops or 2 Doors, Convertibles, Avantis or Hawks!

They must have been expecting to sell a LOT of the Bread and Butter best selling 4 Doors.
        I have to wonder if ANY of the huge amount of left over South Bend First Series '64's would have gone up there, for a small "Gas Station" Dealer in a Very small Town, that is a LOT of Cars.

Only 6 of 13 with White Side Wall Tires.

I think in the 1960's Canadians were the ultimate CASO's
        Six Cylinder Hawks and Daytonas and all.

studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Wow, Sue! What great photo!

The only dealerships l was even slightly familiar with was Capital Motors, Kingston and they did a fair business in Hawks (and that is where l saw the white Avanti that went on tour to Stude dealers in Ontario in 1962), and Gardhouse Motors in Owen Sound. The latter seemed to deal 98% in "Larks" - except for the dealer principal's brother who bot a black "62 GT.

BTW, l think Canada only got six cylinder Hawks up to '59, just like the states, right?
          Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
          61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
          Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
          Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

That is a GREAT picture Susan, the Enterprise Dealer should have a 12 X 17 Framed Copy hanging on their Wall!

Rodger, they built them alright just like the 6 Cyl. '64 Daytonas that we had to wonder Why!

But I believe most 6 Cyl. Hawks and Gran Turismo Hawks were for Export, mostly Australian.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 12-30-2016, 05:25 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My husband Roly used to watch the GT Hawks go into the dip tanks from where he worked at Otis Elevator's lift truck plant. They made Raymonds there. We may try to fake a pix in the spring at the Enterprise dealer, it is in the town where we live. I was going through the Historical Society's archives and found just one picture. Ollie Packham's daughter is going to look for some more after Christmas. Gulliver's had an Avanti in their window on Cannon St. in Hamilton. In Hamilton, there was Community Motors and Clarke Brothers. Roly's first car came from there. It was a used '47 Studebaker. I have also attached a picture of employees taken in '64 on Upper James, my dad is in the middle row, second one from the left. John Spillett is in the picture as well as Sam McCready and the little boy in the pedal car on the inside back cover of the December Turning Wheels is Wayne Toth and his father Julius Toth is in the picture.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	1003547_649102328441397_350552970_n.jpg
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1711765Click image for larger version

Name:	Roland's first Car.jpg
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1711766Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0034.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1711767
              Last edited by SusieQ; 12-30-2016, 06:27 PM.

studenews@outlook.com

Comment

That is a GREAT picture Susan, the Enterprise Dealer should have a 12 X 17 Framed Copy hanging on their Wall!

Rodger, they built them alright just like the 6 Cyl. '64 Daytonas that we had to wonder Why!

But I believe most 6 Cyl. Hawks and Gran Turismo Hawks were for Export, mostly Australian.
                Only a very small number of 6 cylinder cars were exported to Australia after the beginning of local assembly in late 1960. Imports were likely more than 90% V8, and local assembly was exclusively V8.

Chris.

Comment

I have seen GT Hawks with 6cyl motors at the Charlotte meet,two of them,don't know if they were original: Can anyone confirm this ?

Comment

I remember seeing a Right Hand Control (RHC) GT Hawk with -- I think -- a six cylinder at York years ago. It might have been owned by Paul Johnson at the time.

Here is a YouTube video of a six cylinder GT Hawk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlSS...eature=related

Also, seems like there was a 6 cylinder GT Hawk for sale in the Southeast within the last 10 years, but couldn't find it in a quick look.
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Wonderful photo, Susie; thanks. Do we see a wagon in the rear, near the open service door? How about the car cross-wise in front of the showroom window? I'm trying to identify it. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Six cylinder 1964 Daytona four door sedans were available in the US, particularly after January 1st, 1964. BP knows of one sold new in Indiana: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=dominion

Here are two six cylinder '64 Hawks that went to Belgium: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=belgium

Craig

Comment

Great picture Susan! Thank you for sharing it.
                          That's quite an inventory they had, more Lark types than our Studebaker dealer carried. The first car on the right appears to be a Challenger with white walls and full wheel covers!
                          Hope to see more photos after the holidays.
                          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                            Great picture Susan! Thank you for sharing it.
                            That's quite an inventory they had, more Lark types than our Studebaker dealer carried. The first car on the right appears to be a Challenger with white walls and full wheel covers!
                            Hope to see more photos after the holidays.
                            It's a single-headlight Commander, Bill: full-length side spear molding, hood ornament, circle "S" on the sail panel.

Now, is the very last car (at the far end of the front row) a convertible with the top up? I'm straining, but can't tell for sure. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              It's a single-headlight Commander, Bill: full-length side spear molding, hood ornament, circle "S" on the sail panel.

Now, is the very last car (at the far end of the front row) a convertible with the top up? I'm straining, but can't tell for sure. BP
                              Bob , that's a 4dr backed in
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X