Dropped Spindles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Dropped Spindles

Does anyone make dropped spindles for a late Studebaker ?
    Klif
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Sorry, but due to the king pin/spindle design, there wouldn't be anywhere to- drop it to. Unlike cast ball joint spindles, they actually rotate on the king pin in a very small area.

Comment

Usually with suspension of this design they use a dropped spindle carrier/upright. If anyone makes one I'd bet it would be Fatman Fabrication.

Comment

Klif -

You HAVE...the dropped spindles..!
        Earlier uprights have the spindle about 1" lower...or in other words, the car will sit about 1" higher.

Mike

Comment

Mike. Your comment implies that using later spindles on an earlier car would drop it about an inch. Correct?
          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
          '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

OK, what years are "earlier" and what years are "later"? Will they interchange without modification?
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Howard -

First question - yes. While I haven't actually measured them, holding them side by side, looks to be about 1".

Second question - Not positive, but I believe about 62. And yes, everything else is the same, a bolt on for all 53 and up Studebakers. These uprights/spindles also have a "little" more caster built into them.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Comment

Contact Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. He made a set of 2 inch lowered KingPins for me. They are installed on a '63 Avanti. Work great

Comment

Working...
                  X