PDA

View Full Version : Body: '39 Coupe Express wing window divison bar problem

mossback44
12-27-2016, 03:15 PM
I am rebuilding a '39 Coupe Express that I bought in disassembled condition and need help on a problem I have encountered:

How is the wing window division bar attached to the door and/or garnish molding? Since there are no rivet holes or other obvious attaching points, I'm assuming that the ends of the bar must be held in place by some type of clip. Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

t walgamuth
12-27-2016, 03:22 PM
it is a press fit (sort of) onto the leading edge of the window glass. The wing glass just presses against the leading edge of it (sort of). Its odd but it works (sort of).;)

mossback44
12-27-2016, 03:39 PM
Does it go up and down with the door window? I have to ask because my doors had no front channels in place and I had assumed that the glass rides in the channel.

t walgamuth
12-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Yes it goes up and down with the glass.

studeguy54
12-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Tom,

I believe the metal division bar goes up and down with the window. The door on my vehicle has had the vent window/division bar eliminated in favor of a single piece of glass.

My '41 President has a similar arrangement.

rkapteyn
12-27-2016, 09:57 PM
If that channel is missing , look in the bottom of the door!
Robert Kapteyn

t walgamuth
12-27-2016, 11:28 PM
If that channel is missing , look in the bottom of the door!
Robert Kapteyn

Hah!...........

mossback44
12-28-2016, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the help, guys. I was off base when thinking that the window glass rode up and down in the stationary division bar like many other cars. I can see now that the division bar just presses onto the front of the window glass with setting tape.

I've also concluded that the front window channels aren't missing -- there never were any as originally designed. The window seems to raise and lower fine without one.

Another problem solved. Now I can get back to block sanding the 2K primer. Hope to get all the pieces of this basket case painted in the next week or two.

t walgamuth
12-28-2016, 08:27 PM
Sounds great! the window arrangement with the vent is a bit odd but is common to all studies for a good many years.