Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the 1947 Studebaker the First Car with a One Piece Curved Windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was the 1947 Studebaker the First Car with a One Piece Curved Windshield?

I was thinking the 47 Stude was the first car with a one piece curved windshield, so I googled it to find out.
    I came across this interesting brief history of glass and windshields.

Last edited by TWChamp; 12-27-2016, 06:54 AM.

1941 was the first year Studebaker used a one-piece curved windshield, but I believe Chrysler used a curved one-piece windshield as early as 1937.

Craig

Comment

Hi

The first production car with a one-piece, curved-glass windshield are the 1934-'37 Chrysler Custom Imperial Airflow Model CW. Production in this case were a total of 112 largely handcrafted cars. The majority of production was in 1934-'35, the 1936-'37 titled cars simply carrying updated styling.

Next applications were the concurrent 1941-'42 by Studebaker on the Commander and President Sedan-Coupes as well as the Chrysler Crown Imperials seven passenger sedans and limousines. The difference was the Studebaker units were bent in the middle to eliminate the divider bar but with little curvature to each side. The Crown Imperial unit was continually curved, its 1941 production was 700; 1942: 450. Studebaker built many more Sedan-Coupes, Mr. Quinn has the production numbers. By the postwar years, the technology had advanced enough to include the feature in greater numbers.

Steve

Comment

Sedan Coupes by Studebaker. Mid model year intro in 1941. Production 1941 Presidents - 477; Commander - 5195; 1942 Production: President - 605; Commander - 4093. Below 1942 Skyway Sedan Coupe, restored by Richard Pianca, Davenport, Iowa. Current owner Don Armacost, Grandview Missouri.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	42 comm pianca copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1711699
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
        X